Carbon Frame Crack

terry26rims

My mate asked me to see if any one has any ideas whether this Cannondale has had it or will it be ok for a few more miles with some work done to it?

I would say that has had it. This may seem simple but have you checked to see if the carbon has acctually cracked or if its just the paint? take it to a shop that has the equipement to check carbon.

Thats the reason I'd never ever buy a carbon mountain bike frame. Only a racer if ever.

I was recently at the LBS and saw the display, cut-in-half carbon frame which shows how theyre formed etc.

There is only the thinnest alloy/steel sleeve which the bb sits in. The load is on the carbon, not that sleeve.

The carbon is also surprisingly thin.

If you have such a decent crack, paint or not, the inside has failed and forced the paint to crack.

Its an epic fail of the cannondale im afraid. Id throw the frame away before he gets impaled by it. Carbon is not a material you want sticking out of you!

I snapped my carbon fibre seat post. Its on youtube. If it wasnt for the polished outer layer, i'd have had a second butt hole made for me

Edited by † CETFLY †