How To Get A Freewheel Of Cranks.

ScottTrials

Hi there, I am wondering if there is another way to get a freewheel of the crank as this is going to be my third ENO centre in 2 weeks. This is because I've been having problems with my chain line on my limey20 and I'm skint. Took it to the lbs and he broke 2 freewheel tools in the process and it didnt budge a bit, this made the bit where the pawls go in get wrecked on my first one. so i ordered a new one and put that on and had to make adjustments on my crank spacer and messed it up. So I got another one slightly thinner so that I wouldn't have to modify it. I have tried so far using; a hammer and screw driver, heat and the hammer and screw driver process again. Although the heat way worked, I had to buy a new centre and they are nearly the price of another freewheel (£32). This is just becoming a joke as I'm also using a try-all rim with something like 9 cracks, If I keep replacing the centre bit I'm never going to be able to buy my new wheelset.

Many Thanks

Scott

get the free wheel remover and place in place. get some threaded rod/old axil type thing and some large washers and some bolts that fit the threaded rod. put the rod through, put the washer on the top of the tool and the outside of the crank then bolt the lot together from each side. put the tool in a vice and get a large metal tube to go over the crank for extra leverage then crank that damn thing off. you could put the crank in the vice and use a spanner if you dont mind clamping you cranks.

keep the threaded rod in a safe place for future use.

get the free wheel remover and place in place. get some threaded rod/old axil type thing and some large washers and some bolts that fit the threaded rod. put the rod through, put the washer on the top of the tool and the outside of the crank then bolt the lot together from each side. put the tool in a vice and get a large metal tube to go over the crank for extra leverage then crank that damn thing off. you could put the crank in the vice and use a spanner if you dont mind clamping you cranks.

keep the threaded rod in a safe place for future use.

Thanks, I will try it this way if this happens again. This thread should help people in a similar position.

I will need to dig out my old bmx axel and nuts then.

Many thanks

Scott