Echo Rim Brake Or Hs33

AaronR504

wonderd what everyone thought was better either the echo CNC rim brake or the magura HS33 because im happy to pay the extra few quid on the echo but it seems most people run the HS33 so just wondered whats the best?

A well bled Echo CNC is very good.

But HS33's are tough and are easy to repair.

Someone else can explain this better i'm sure. :giggle:

wonderd what everyone thought was better either the echo CNC rim brake or the magura HS33 because im happy to pay the extra few quid on the echo but it seems most people run the HS33 so just wondered whats the best?

I changed to echo because I used to get a bit of flex in the hs33 lever - when I had fully pulled the lever down to lock the brake the whole master cylinder body would seem to flex, but with the cnc echo lever body its solid, think the cable they put on as standard is kevlar and a bit better than standard magura hose, the extra length in the lever is meant to give more power in braking.

I've a couple of sets the first one needed returned to tarty after a couple of months because there was oil seeping from behind the brake blocks, but returned to tarty they replaced callipers and re-bled the system and had it back the next day, I did ask about a spare lever pin at the same time and they didn't have one specificity for the echo brake at the time but suggested that I just used a magura one (which was a bit longer but I found the extra length give me a preferred biting point) tarty have reduced the price again to £99 although a mate picked one up from select bikes on there ebay shop over a year ago for a cracking £75 inc. P+P (just after I bought one <_< from tarty) although I haven't seen them at that price since.

I've seen a few running the echo levers with magura callipers, on the tarty page for them it states "Designed for use with wide trials rims (42mm and over) if you have a 100mm brake mount spaced frame - the cylinders offer less inwards adjustment than Magura HS33s in order to give them more heel clearance."

sorry for the long post hope it sheds some light on things

Edited by japslap

so do the HS33 slaves and ECHO lever work well together? I am torn between the ECHO SL and TR lever, I have set of pre-05 Maggies with a cnc blade but like the idea of a longer lever blade.

Yea man I've seen it done with the normal ECHO cnc haven't seen many using the SL or TR lever personally but I'd say it should be fine, I've seen a couple of guys (in MBUK's pitifully small trials section (no offence Martin its just the space they give you)) I'm trying to find a link of a pic now to clarify, but I'm sure if you dropped Tarty bikes an email they give you a heads up but I'd agree with Josh barker!

Edited by japslap