Contaminated Disc?

Manus-Rider

Disk brake cleaner for your disk, and there are various methods off cleaning your pads. I've done it by running sandpaper over it for a while, some burn them in methalated spirits and some even put them in the cooker. :S

I'm sure someone else with tell you more about them than i can. (Y)

Disk brake cleaner for your disk, and there are various methods off cleaning your pads. I've done it by running sandpaper over it for a while, some burn them in methalated spirits and some even put them in the cooker. :S

I'm sure someone else with tell you more about them than i can. (Y)

Do you no what you have to do when you put you pads in the cooker, like how long you put them in for, what heat e.t?

Thanks Charlie

Edited by Manus-Rider
  • Like 1

Do you no what you have to do when you put you pads in the cooker, like how long you put them in for, what heat e.t?

Thanks Charlie

Unfortunetly i don't mate. I'll have a search around in other topics for you and see what i can find. (Y)

What i found:

People will say different thing below me, but this is what works for me every time.

Meths - Bit in the bottom of a coke can, cut top off, put pads in (enough to just cover the pads), set it alight. When all the meths has burn away, remove (be careful, hotness).

Put meths on a lint free, new, clean rag and rub all over disk braking surfaces.

Team Nick Wood

Hot water and washing up liquid using a pan scourer

buy some muc off or some alcohol free detergent

Turps Should Do The Job

have heard hover it over the hob on the oven, til it starts to get hot or you can tell the oil is burning off, then drop it in some water. That is ment to work, have not tried it yet though

hot water and fairy, but dont forget that the pads will have soaked up the oil

I burn the oil off my pads/rotor using meths, has worked for us lot well over the past couple of years.

(Y)

I find it works if you get heat into the disc & pads, Go ride it & use the brake really hard, Just ride up & down your street or something & put a lot of pressure on the brake. I know it gets rid of lubricants, It can take a while, But it does work, Or instead you could just use some brake cleaner if you have some. Also if your pads are contaminted take them out & spray them with brake cleaner also.

Edited by Ben H!

I find it works if you get heat into the disc & pads, Go ride it & use the brake really hard, Just ride up & down your street or something & put a lot of pressure on the brake. I know it gets rid of lubricants, It can take a while, But it does work, Or instead you could just use some brake cleaner if you have some. Also if your pads are contaminted take them out & spray them with brake cleaner also.

This doesn't work!

The oil soaks deep into the friction material of the brake pad, thats like trying to clean gravy out of bread by spraying soap on it.