Chainging From Dual To Single Chainring

Elliot

I keep on buying stuff off ebay only to find that it doesn’t fit or work as I thought it would. So before buying stuff this time I thought I would consult your kind selves!

I have a dual ring Truvativ Hussfelt crank, the inner ring of which I don’t use. I want to run this as a single ring and cure the problem of the chain, which keeps coming off.

What do you recon is the cheapest solution?

Can I whip off the inner ring and stick on a bashguard in its place, which would help to guide the chain and make balancing mildly easier? Would one fit?

Or should I take off the inner ring and stick on a BB mounted chain tensioner? would it reach the outer ring ok?

I have a dual ring Truvativ Hussfelt crank, the inner ring of which I don’t use. I want to run this as a single ring and cure the problem of the chain, which keeps coming off.

What do you recon is the cheapest solution?

Can I whip off the inner ring and stick on a bashguard in its place, which would help to guide the chain and make balancing mildly easier? Would one fit?

Or should I take off the inner ring and stick on a BB mounted chain tensioner? would it reach the outer ring ok?

the Hussefelt cranks that are set up for two rings (as opposed to those that have mounts for a granny cog) aren't really going to be suitable for trials, as you can't get a small enough chainring on there.

best bet is to go for a Truvativ Hussefelt Trials crankset like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Truvativ-Hussefelt-How...1QQcmdZViewItem

they're always on eBay so you can't miss em.

IF however your crankset DOES have the granny ring mounts, then just buy a standard 22tooth chainring and a Hussefelt trials guard

post a pic of the crankset if you're not sure - but take a pic of the back of it so we can see what mounts you have

Not quite as simple as that I'm afraid dude!

I put this bike together on the serious cheap, so its a collection of parts that i could get!

the chainrings are 32 outer and 22 inner and i can generally get away with using just the outer ring as the cassette is 11/30. This probably sounds random as, but i do use the thing to get around on aswell. I want to get rid of one of the chainrings and use a tensioner, because of the cassette i should be able to get rid of the inner one, but how should i do it and what should i use to tension the thing?

anyway pics here:

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....i&img=15465

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....i&img=15466

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....i&img=15467

NO PROBLEM!

this is very easy to resolve mate.

1 - get rid of the front derailleur, cable and shifter

2 - remove the bashguard and 32 chainring

3 - look here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Truvative-Hussefelt-...1QQcmdZViewItem

4 - buy that - it's dirt cheap and the auction even ends tomorrow! if you don't get it, you need to get a 22tooth bashguard, so get looking

(that'll take care of the front end of the drivetrain)

as for the rear:

5 - look at how other people have their trials derailleur set up (practically horizontal)

6 - take a shitload of links out of your chain, but make sure it's still just long enough to get to your largest rear sprocket. the tension of the derailleur and the shortness of the chain should stop any chain-jump problems

that crankset is ideal for trials - i used to have one myself

WHAM! BAM! Robert is your mother's brother!

Edited by bEavoLa

Ok, so took off the derailleur shifers and cable, and took a few links out of the chain.

I havent decided which chainring to get rid of though, cos if i get rid of the inner ring i'll need to get a new cassette cos 22 tooth chainring and an 8 Speed Cassette thats 11/30 is a bit much!! whereas if i keep the outer 32tooth ring then the cassette kinda works, plus i can use the bike to get places! On the other hand its alot easier to play around on when I use the 22 tooth, sooo, f**k knows!!

But thanks anyway dude, you helped alot and added to my list of "things I'd like to buy if i could afford to"!!! (Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)

I havent decided which chainring to get rid of though, cos if i get rid of the inner ring i'll need to get a new cassette cos 22 tooth chainring and an 8 Speed Cassette thats 11/30 is a bit much!! whereas if i keep the outer 32tooth ring then the cassette kinda works, plus i can use the bike to get places! On the other hand its alot easier to play around on when I use the 22 tooth, sooo, f**k knows!!

on my old Saracen 2.Six, i had a standard cassette (11-28) and a 22tooth on the front. i found that i could happily run it on the 18tooth for trials and then drop it down to the 11tooth for travelling to-and-from my trials-riding-spot.

trials bikes aren't really practical for "getting round places" though - and a 32tooth chainring isn't practical for trialsing on...so you're gonna have to make the compromise somewhere!