Square Taper Or Isis?

Vee

Isis Or Square  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which is Better isis or Square

• Isis
    • Square

I voted isis as the BBs are better and more varied and the cranks last longer!

But square is a lot cheaper, crank and bb wise!

I have square at the moment,

Can't really fault it!

If you're ever wanting to buy a square bb,

look for shimano ones,

cheap and strong.

Pretty much soild axels!

Isis is stronger, lighter, has a larger axle, more sides to the taper, larger bearings, and they cant round out like tapered. they do, however, get a bit of play after a few years. unless the arms are steel. Dont buy a ti ISIS bb, it WILL snap. Dont buy the FSA platinum Pro BB, it will snap. Ive broken the Ti and the stainless ones. They do, however carry a great warranty, but its annoying snapping it every month or so. Truvativ gigapipe series are amazing. Or the Crank brothers Cobalt. Ive had one of them for about a year, no problems. (interestingly enough, its supposedly the same as the platinum pro. hahaha, so who knows, maybe i keep getting faulty platinum pros)

Ive only snapped one tapered bb, ive snapped 4 ISIS bb's....

gotta take all of that into account:)

the only other cranks i have liked, and you WONT break the bb or the axle is a set of the new shimano cranks. THe Saint or the XTR's...ryan leech is using the XTRs' and some crazy bash. Strikingly light, and WAY stiffer than any set of middlburns (or any other crank for that matter) ive ever had. But they arent "trials'y"....

Or an old set of XTR's with a custom bashring, like the old leeson's had...so sexy..and stiff

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....p;#entry1550764

ISIS is the future.

Isis is stronger, lighter, has a larger axle, more sides to the taper, larger bearings, and they cant round out like tapered. they do, however, get a bit of play after a few years. unless the arms are steel. Dont buy a ti ISIS bb, it WILL snap. Dont buy the FSA platinum Pro BB, it will snap. Ive broken the Ti and the stainless ones. They do, however carry a great warranty, but its annoying snapping it every month or so. Truvativ gigapipe series are amazing. Or the Crank brothers Cobalt. Ive had one of them for about a year, no problems. (interestingly enough, its supposedly the same as the platinum pro. hahaha, so who knows, maybe i keep getting faulty platinum pros)

Ive only snapped one tapered bb, ive snapped 4 ISIS bb's....

gotta take all of that into account:)

Do you mean a Monty TI BB, or a titanium axled BB? I have the Monty now. :ermm:

Edited by Muel

leech is a god. who knows. probably made out of uranium or somethin. but you, his set up is soooooo stiff. played on a (copy) of his bike at interbike last year. almost nut myself.

have you seen pics of his setup? blissful.

not the monty Ti, just the Platinum Pro with the Ti axle..and every other Ti axle bb ive used (besides the Profile ones!)

he's my fav rider. partly because i actually got to kick it with him a few times, but mostly because he was kicking ass for so many years. he does it purely for fun and is great at promoting the sport.

plus, the Norco Moment has been my fav frame ever!

i guess im a die-hard, but he has done a lot for this sport and promotion of cycling in general, and i dig that

back to the bb situation:)

if you havent broke a Tapered one, and liked the way they felt, why change?

word. do it.

and get those middleburn ano pink. classsssy:)

im gonna ride rigid for the first time this week....im kinda scared. hahhaa

i dont want the whole burns haha just the bash i think then black anno on the actual burns would look the tits!

haha rigid is good!

haha they dont look to grippy though but might think about one on the front (Y)

i could just wait for ti all to come and take it all to a anodiser and tell em to do everything fluro pink haha would look the nuts!

To go back to the point - square taper BB's (Shimano XT) take a lot more mileage without failing than ISIS (Except possibly the SKF ISIS ones that cost 2 or 3 times the cost of an XT). Square taper BB's do tend to snap after a year or so though (I don't go big, but I weigh at least 90kg, I've never snapped an ISIS on my trials bike, but I killed the bearings on the ISIS BB on my XC bike in months - replaced it with a Octalink Shimano XT - not the hollowtech II's which last worse than ISIS if you put miles on them)... So to conclude - for XC/mileage, square taper is best, for trials, especially if you're heavy, ISIS is the best.

As for Ryan Leech's setup - if you like to put the cranks down occasionally hollow Shimano cranks may not be the way to go. Here's a sawn up Deore crank to give you an idea how thin the walls of the crank are:

CC%20LQ5.jpg

If you put a dent in the cranks they will fold on you. This crank was retired because the pedal threads pulled out of it - this seems to happen Deore cranks after a few years but not XT's...

Edited by psycholist