What 24" Wheel Set Should I Build?

† CETFLY †

Looking to build a set of wheels for an Inspired, with streety/trials setup (which theyre designed for :P )

What would everyone recommend for 24" build?

Im trying to keep the weight down, I weigh 74kg (163pounds) so I dont think they really need to be over the top.

Ive heard 36spoke is overkill, so Im guessing 32 is fine and what these Hope Pro2 trials hubs normally use anyway? It doesnt say on Tartys.

Id prefer to keep buckles right down on the rear wheel as Im using HS33 rim brakes so if I need to go 36spoke rear, then I will.

The front Im not too fussed as I have disc, so I'll stick to 32spoke.

For the front I was looking at an Echo SL Disc hub from Tarty. They look mad!

What rims would you boys recommend for me after reading this?

I'd always go for a Rhyno Lite XL. I love mine, plenty strong enough for streety trials and only weigh just over 500g each - quite thin in some people's eyes though at 29mm, could always look into Tioga DH rims - they're 35mm wide so would be pretty mint out back, and are pretty similar weight wise to an RL.

Mate those to a set of ProII's and you'll be set! The front's only about 50g heavier than that Echo hub and, in my opinion, far better looking and will outlast it, my echo hubs died a death bearing-wise after about 6 months and i barely rode the bike...

I'd always go for a Rhyno Lite XL. I love mine, plenty strong enough for streety trials and only weigh just over 500g each - quite thin in some people's eyes though at 29mm, could always look into Tioga DH rims - they're 35mm wide so would be pretty mint out back, and are pretty similar weight wise to an RL.

Mate those to a set of ProII's and you'll be set! The front's only about 50g heavier than that Echo hub and, in my opinion, far better looking and will outlast it, my echo hubs died a death bearing-wise after about 6 months and i barely rode the bike...

Yeah.... was thinking back to what people said were "Deng" bikes (ie: typically chinese) and it was Echo, Gu, Czar (from what I was told)

If there are more to add to the list, please inform me as Id like to know.

It wont be the cnc machining or quality of the hubs themselves, it will be the cheap bearings (cheap soft metal) they use.

If you can grab a good hub, like the Echo SL Disc, put in some Japanese or German bearings you'll be sweet I think.

If your buying hubs these days then your going to want to run 32 hole as 36 is becoming obsolete in the trials world , because more companies have gone down the route of losing weight from the components they are producing more 32 hole rims than 36 to save weight . As for rims i would go with some trialtech or tryall if your going to be riding trials street but if you prefer riding park maybe try dmr rims or sun rims like the bmf .

good luck :)

Ive heard 36spoke is overkill, so Im guessing 32 is fine and what these Hope Pro2 trials hubs normally use anyway? It doesnt say on Tartys.

There's no real difference. It's slightly easier to get rims in 32h and it's what most people use so I'd stick to that. I'm fairly sure the Pro 2 can come in either 32h or 36h, but 32h is again probably more common.

Yeah.... was thinking back to what people said were "Deng" bikes (ie: typically chinese)

lol, it's not like it's a racist term like calling them "chink frames" or something! There's a guy called Deng who owns basically all the Chinese trials brands (Echo, Zoo, Adamant, Gu etc).

There's no real difference. It's slightly easier to get rims in 32h and it's what most people use so I'd stick to that. I'm fairly sure the Pro 2 can come in either 32h or 36h, but 32h is again probably more common.

lol, it's not like it's a racist term like calling them "chink frames" or something! There's a guy called Deng who owns basically all the Chinese trials brands (Echo, Zoo, Adamant, Gu etc).

LOL - never said it was :P

I know. Like you said "Deng" is the name of the guy who owns them ;)