Recommend Me Some V Pads For The Front (smooth Rim)

Tommy d

I'm changing to a front V soon and wondering about pads.

What would you recommend for a smooth rim, no tar? I'm more after dry weather cos my tyres won't grip in the wet anyay ;)

My criteria are good modulation and hold that I can trust, ideally quiet. Modulation > mega sharp bite.

If you are knowledgeable of these things your advice would be appreciated.

EDIT:

While we're here I have another front-vee-related question:

I was going to get an Odyssey Linear Slick cable as they seem to be recomended all over the place, but presumably it will be really long for a front brake and I haven't seen a front version. Is it alright to cut them down shorter? I wasn't planning on doing any barspins in the near future so presumably I don't want it mega long?

Edited by Tommy d

having used v's on both f&r for years and loving quiet brakes, the best pads iv found are cousts on the rear (with light grind) and on the front (no grind needed) is the JAGWIRE brake pad. Very very cheap and available at most lbs. they work in allconditions and modulate very well (gapping to front always feels controlled and smooth)

they're silent and work extremely well.

Iv used them on the front and rear of my pashley

on the front of my et

and currently on the front of my karbon.

nothing else is as good imo... its cheap, quiet, long lasting and allows for tons of brake control whilst still stopping on a dime wen needed.

hope that helps you

danny.....

i have the original heatsink cnc's (white compound) and they have lasted about 2 years (i think..i lose count..!).

they never used to...but since i'v started grindin the front for muddy comps they have the most demonific squeak ever. it's deafening.

so..don't do that (Y).

bloody good pads mind.

i have the original heatsink cnc's (white compound) and they have lasted about 2 years (i think..i lose count..!).

they never used to...but since i'v started grindin the front for muddy comps they have the most demonific squeak ever. it's deafening.

so..don't do that (Y).

bloody good pads mind.

I thought the orignial Heatsink Batch A's were yellow? As were the Batch B's...

I know it's off topic, so sorry.

And, even though i don't have any knowledge for your query i hope you appreciate the bump :P !

Cheers,

Joe.

Yeah it's all good.

Cheers for the recommendations. I might go with Salmon but I was going to ask if you (mr danny streetjibs) have a link for those Jagwire ones so I can peruse? Any other links to pads I might not have found in the usual online shops would be cool too. (my LBS is a bit useless)

Ta

Yeah it's all good.

Cheers for the recommendations. I might go with Salmon but I was going to ask if you (mr danny streetjibs) have a link for those Jagwire ones so I can peruse? Any other links to pads I might not have found in the usual online shops would be cool too. (my LBS is a bit useless)

Ta

http://www.jagwire.com.tw/js909t.htm - i have used these on the front with no grind for years .... top pads :) could try the red ones below it too!

http://www.jagwire.com.tw/js91xc.htm - havent used these... but they look pretty swish and im sure wud be mint! carbon backing is pretty lush too!!

hope that helps mate.

oh yeah cant remember if i told u or not, but if u use these onthe back with a grind they work insane (light grind is best) and stil remain quiet! (though a booster will assist that to some degree too)

gd luck!

danny...

Thanks again everyone.

I was going to get an Odyssey Linear Slick cable as they seem to be recomended all over the place, but presumably it will be really long for a front brake and I haven't seen a front version. Is it alright to cut them down shorter? I wasn't planning on doing any barspins in the near future so presumably I don't want it mega long?

Thanks again everyone.

They only come in one length but can be cut just like any other cable. You won't be able cut the outer with normal cutters though unless they're a damn sight better than the ones I use, a hacksaw followed by a bit of tidying with a file is what is normally required.

Edited by djb