Setting Up Disk Brakes

Josh   Greenan!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone else have problems stopping there rotors rubbing on the pads when running disks? At the moment im running double disk and there both rubbing and it making me want to get a maggie. I have tried putting washers between the caliper and it doesn't work, do you guys have any suggestions? Cheerz, Josh.

What disc brake is it? If its a bb7 or bb5 then you really shouldn't be struggling to adjust them :P

You need disc brake shims from your lbs or halfords. An average packet has about 10 in, in varying sizes from 1mm to 0.1mm. Use them to space the caliper accordingly. If the disc brake has 2 moving calipers then get it as central as possible, but if it only has one moving pad, get it as close to the stationary pad as possible and slightly touching too. This is so that when the other piston moves, the rotor doesn't bend and you get a really good stopping brake*.

Heres a hint for a bb7 i use

Loosen the caliper bolts which slide the caliper left and right through the slot hole things. Next using the pad adjusters, tighten up the inner adjuster and the otuer adjuster. If possible tighten the inner about 1/3 and the outer 2/3 so that any adjustments later on are easier to get to. Now the pads should be gripping the rotor tight and you cant turn the wheel. Tighten up the caliper clamping bolts. Now undo the inner pad ONE click outwards, and the outer a couple. This is so you get the effect I mentioned before with the *.

And thats it really. The hope mono trial brakes are a bit more fiddly than that but highly rewarding if you get it right :)

Heres a hint for a bb7 i use

Loosen the caliper bolts which slide the caliper left and right through the slot hole things. Next using the pad adjusters, tighten up the inner adjuster and the otuer adjuster. If possible tighten the inner about 1/3 and the outer 2/3 so that any adjustments later on are easier to get to. Now the pads should be gripping the rotor tight and you cant turn the wheel. Tighten up the caliper clamping bolts. Now undo the inner pad ONE click outwards, and the outer a couple. This is so you get the effect I mentioned before with the *.

And thats it really. The hope mono trial brakes are a bit more fiddly than that but highly rewarding if you get it right :)

This is exactly what the bb7 manual suggests btw. :P:)

Get onto Tarty Adam, he knows what he is chatting.

Get the mounts faced and a full shim set and get it set perfectly. Also make sure the rotors are true, you can straighten them with an adjustable spanner. Just clamp it on and bend them very slightly, it doesnt take much to bend them.

Check the pads have work evenly, if not, you will need to either sand/file them down flat or buy new ones. When they are running straight it is surprising how little pad material needs to be present for them still to run fine.

Edited by KuelMuel