Tensile Freewheel + Eno Freewhel = Good?

Captain Scarlet

Well recently I have bought some Echo Forged cranks, to replace my old battered and falling apart Monty's.

I took my cranks off at work today (I work in a bike shop), and tried removing the Eno freewheel in between the space of 10-3 o clock (obviously not non stop), but pretty much everyone at work had a go, we made different tools and jigs to get it off but it wouldn't budge, tried GT85 and the stuff that penetrates rust to unclock fixed threads but nothing.

Its basically come to the point that the Freewheel is 100% stuck, so I'm just going through the possibilites.

I love my Eno, so I thought about taking off as much of it as possible and buying spares of the parts that are stuck (should be just the centre piece), but that will come to £28 just to replace that and the locking and teeth aren't in the greatest of shape either.

So I thought about a Tensile, cheap and easy, and it also removes with a bottom bracket tool so hopefully that wouldn't get stuck like my one has.

But I also rembered that Tensiles are replaceable like the Eno, so If I wanted to could I just buy a Tensile and then replace the outer teeth on it with the ones on my Eno, thus changing its engage ments?

Is this possible?

Also for the future I think front freewheels should be made like a sprocket?, so they could have splines running all the way through instead of threads, and then secured on with a lockring in the same way a sprocket is, that way it doesn't get tighter the more pressure you put on it?

But is is possible to combine the Eno with a Tensile?

I'm sure I'm gonna get many people say; "Oh whats the point its only another 12 engagements?", but I'm just trying to make use of the spares I have.

And to those who say Monty cranks are made of cheese, your so wrong.

put youre crank arm in a vice, get a long bolt and bolt the tool to your freewheel, this stops it slipping off, get some sort of leverage bar (short scaffoling bar will do) and slowly undo.

make shure to undo the tool at the same time.

not well explained but give it ago!

if u dont understand ill go take a pic of mine :)

Harry!

Have you tried this?

1. Bolt your freewheel tool onto your cranks with a bolt through the crank then the tool. This will make sure your freewheel tool won't slip off

2. Put the freewheel tool ( which has your freewheel and crank attached to it) into a vice to hold it in place

3. Take the pedal off the crank if you need to.

4. Slide a big metal tube (a good thing to use is a long-ish scaffolding tube) onto the crank arm. The use this leverage to twist the crank off the freewheel.

With the big metal pole this will make it VERY easy.

JK

EDIT: Post above me beat me lol dammit! but yeah, very true what he said too

great minds think alike :shifty:

Edited by J-KAY

Hmm, Your idea is one worth trying but, What happends if it dont work and you've f**ked it by putting the eno onto it.

I run a tensile freewheel. I moved from my profile because it exploded but the tensile feels dam nice and i still get alot of power out it so if i were you and your buying a tensile one anyway why dont you just run it till you can eventually get that eno of then flog the tensile. I may evan take it.

Leave it on the cranks.

You say you bought new cranks? Buy a Tensile for them and flog your old cranks, complete with eno, on here.

The drive side has been hit a few hundred times with a hammer lmao, so those who think Monty cranks are cheese are so wrong, its still kept its shape actually.

I think I'm gonna let my dad have a go at it (nothin beats him :P ), also the blowtorch method suggested by Adam.

And yes I have bolted the tool to the freewheel to stop it slipping and added countless spanners to the crank for more leverage.

But is is possible to combine the Eno with a Tensile?

No.

And yes I have bolted the tool to the freewheel to stop it slipping and added countless spanners to the crank for more leverage.

You'll need a big bit of scaffolding bar or something, 3ft minimum, a couple of spanners won't do the job (Y)