Can Anyone Help Me?!

Karl Butcher

My bike is being abit of a shitter at the moment! :(

theres a weird cracking sound from my BB when i put pressure on the pedals aka gaping/pedaling ( sounds like when your BB is about to go )

so i swapped my SKF BB to my old Echo External but it still makes a weird cracking sound! BUT! it dont do it all the time just when it feels like it!

i thought it could be my rear Hope pro 2 or a crack in the frame!

the Hub feels fine when im rolling and when im hopping on the spot not long had the hub! and i have checked for cracks and i cant see any!

so i have ran out of ideas what it could be!

if you could help me out that would be great! :)

Might be the pedals?, pretty sure you'd feel that though, still might be worth checking. If not, I had some creaking sounds coming from my bike when I pedaled, thought it was my canks/BB but it turned out to be my headset :S . . so maybe check/grease that, pretty unlikely but worth a try.

Edited by *Tom*

Take off the end caps, undo the nut inside, the take off the washer under that you might need some small pliers to get it off, tighten up the cone so there is a tiny little bit of movement . . you need to leave this because when you tighten the locking nut up they will get slightly tighter. Then just take out the little grub screw in the pedal body, wack a load of grease in, stick the grub screw back in. Job done. :)

Thanks for all the help guys!

i will try doing the pedals 2mo somtime! :)

i will let you all know how it goes! :)

Karl Mine did this when i put pressure on them, took them off cleaned them all up put a good bit off grease on the taper off the crank and on the bolt and tightend them up with a huge allen key :) They dont do it anymore (Y)

Karl Mine did this when i put pressure on them, took them off cleaned them all up put a good bit off grease on the taper off the crank and on the bolt and tightend them up with a huge allen key :) They dont do it anymore (Y)

cool cool!

i will give it ago! :)

still coming on sunday?!

It is very, very unlikely that it is your pedals, I have about 5mm of up/ down movement in mine and that is just annoying but causes no squeaks or problems.

Take your bb out and regrease the threads, put it back in and make sure that it is properly tightened, then use an overly large amount of grease on the axle/crank interface and tighten the crank on to about 45-50NM-1. That should stop it.

You should also regrease your pedals just to make them last longer, however you do not need to strip them down as someone said.