Magura Help!

sstein

Lately on my Magura rear brake it has had a problem locking up. I have clean the rim, filed the pads a bit, rehosed and rebled the brake and set up the alignment perfectly. I can still hop on the back wheel, but it slips a bit on pedal kicks and I need to use two fingers to lock it for small pivots. I use fibrak pads but also had same problem with stock magura pads, no grind (and I don't want one) and no tar. I heard hairspray on the rim might help. All advice welcome.

Edited by sstein

Better pads would be a good start (Y)

I know you mentioned not wanting a grind, but you'll find that most pads are shite otherwise :(

Try some Cousts on a smooth rim with a little bit of tar, been told that it's an awesome combo, if theres still no change then i think the grinder needs to com out :(;)(Y):)

Use some trials specific brake pads. I went for years thinking the stock pads were fine, but the constant fear of the brake slipping out put me off trying a lot of gaps and lines. Rock green pads are good on smooth rims, but they're all shite as soon as the rim gets even slightly damp.

Yeh, you need good pads, my mate had fibrax on the heaviest grind I could manage, and it was dire.

If you don't want to run a grind, get Necopads reds, designed for smooth rims with or without a smidgen of tar.

www.necopads.co.uk

Hairspray does work to help lock your brakes. Although saying that I have only ever tried it with reasonable pads. I run rimjams on a smooth rim and it works lovely. The only time I needed hairspray was when my maggie was in need of a bleed.

My advice is to try the hairspray for a temporary measure but invest in some decent pads for a long term fix. You won't look back. Lots of topics about pads on here so do a search and see what takes your fancy really.

Kev