Rim Switch

Jason222

Well, I just taco'd my DOB front wheel...and I have a spare rear sitting around...so I'm wondering, if I reuse the spokes, will it work? The dob front rim erd is 534, and the rear is 532...

Will 2 mm make any difference in spoke length?

Provided the spoke nipples get at least 5 or 6 full turns onto the spokes they should be reasonably strong, Having an ideal spoke length means the ends of the spokes are flush with the backs of the spoke nipple, there's at least a mm or possibly even the 2mm you need, of adjustment possible each side of this point on most spoke/nipple combinations. Worth a try to get you back on the road anyway. Worst case you've lost an hour trying this (Which you couldn't have spent biking anyway) and will have to wait for a new rim to be delivered or for new spokes anyway, Best case is you're back in action straight after the wheel build with the spokes and rim you have...

Well the spokes will only be 1mm too long, which will be fine. If worst comes to worst just add an extra cross to the spoke pattern (so if its 2x atm, lace it to 3x) but I can't see a need to do that over a 1mm difference in spoke length :)

Well the spokes will only be 1mm too long, which will be fine. If worst comes to worst just add an extra cross to the spoke pattern (so if its 2x atm, lace it to 3x) but I can't see a need to do that over a 1mm difference in spoke length :)

If you add a cross in over 1mm your spokes will be WAY too short, I had spokes on a 3x wheel that were maybe 4mm or soo too long but they were still too short for 4x.