Mechanic(avid) Vs Hope

Mechanic or Hidraulic?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. AVID OR HOPE?

• AVID (coment your setup)
    • Hope (coment your model)

Bb7 everyday!

A well set up one will most likely out perform or be as good as a hope, and you will get about 4 bb7's for the same price as a hope. And, theyre sooo easy to mess with, no fluid = no mess!

Also, things like levers and cables are stocked in any local bike shop, so easy if you need parts fast!

Owen

BB7's ***! So easy to 'fine tune'/allign, compared to using silly spacers and stuff.

I had a Hope Mini Mono once, and it just had loads of problems :P

It leaked where the Diafram on the lever body had coroded (sp?).

Then one of the pistons actually poped out when it was put in my 'box of goodies' - which contaminated the pads.

And they are hard to make the lever pull to where you like it.

BB7's suffer from none of that :D

BB7's ***! So easy to 'fine tune'/allign, compared to using silly spacers and stuff.

I had a Hope Mini Mono once, and it just had loads of problems :P

It leaked where the Diafram on the lever body had coroded (sp?).

Then one of the pistons actually poped out when it was put in my 'box of goodies' - which contaminated the pads.

And they are hard to make the lever pull to where you like it.

BB7's suffer from none of that :D

because squirt f**ked about with it :P id buy a hope if i could ever afford one,doubt id ever will to be honest as i love my front maggie (when i get it back off nathen :@) but if you can afford a hope get a bb7 partz was mint and so is cais.

my hope mono trial 07 200mm..... sucks. when it works, it works but you can hear the pads rocking, you have to get at least 180mm for the brake to be any good (unless you only weigh like 8/9 stone). theyre harder to set up (i know its not 'hard' but some people find that kind of stuff hard or dont want to break a £160 brake so wont try themselves costing more money), cost more, break more, harder to fix, or you could buy a less attractive brake for half the price that has twice the power, a caveman could set it up and fix it... when sh1t hits the fan you can mix and match any cable lever, cable etc.

im only talking from experience, every single bb7 has been more powerfull then the most power hope iv tried,

i always hear of hope problems but see hardly any bb7 problems and my lever actualy snapped today, and because the threaded ajusting pin thing that goes through the brasss barrel has cracked i cant take the rest of the lever off so ill have to buy a new piston bit, lever, brass barrel thing and have to rebleed it all.....

who ever says 'well my hope is fine, powerful etc'..... just the fact that your telling us proves that its kinda not that often that hopes are perfect, hardly anyone says that about theur bb7 as there is no need to because thats just what all bb7's are like apart from the odd few for contaminated pads or something wrong..

anyways, just my advise... buy a bb7 if you want the best, not the prettiest

I like my Avid Juicy. The power of a BB7 with a nice lever feel, and loads cheaper than the Hope. It took aaaages to bed in properly though - so you'll find older posts by me that say it's not that great. But it is, now :P

It's still twice the price (more or less) of a BB7 though, whether it's worth that is up to you.