Shimano Am40 Shoes

16 years later

Really need to tick a few box's for good trials riding shoes / riding shoes in genral

- Flat soles

- Nice grippy surface

- Some heel / ankle support

- And a fastening methord (which i prefer but some people still use open wide skate shoes)

So yea they look fine!

Sounds to me like they might be reasonably soft. I like a stiffer sole, i think.

Do softer soles grip better then? but, do harder soles last longer?

Yeah, you're pretty much right. Depends on how hard or soft the compound is. My skate shoes have a softer compound than my Shimano MP56's, so the pedal grips far better on my skate shoe. But, my skate shoes would only last about a month of trials riding before the soles died.

If you run cage style pedals, softer soled shoes are usually better. If you've got pinned pedals a harder sole is better. For example a friend of mine uses Nike 6.0 skate type shoes on caged pedals and says they're brilliant. On pinned pedals I found my 6.0's aren't great all and in the wet they're lethal, while my harder soled Asics runners grip perfectly on pins wet or dry, but will slide more easily on caged pedals because the cages can't dig in far enough to grip.

Many people like very flexy soles so they can feel the pedals, but I prefer a slightly stiffer sole as it feels more comfortable - the sole of my foot sometimes cramps if the sole of my shoe is too flexy, I'm guessing because of higher local pressure on my foot over the front and back of the pedal with a flexy sole, while a stiffer sole distributes the load more evenly at the expense of really good feel.

So basically, if you've got pinned pedals you'll probably need soles that are a little harder than those for cage pedals. Since Shimano only make pinned flat pedals, I'm guessing the shoes will be better on those. After that it's personal preference whether you like a stiff sole compared to a flexible sole, as either can work well provided you're not talking about SPD shoe levels of stiffness...

did anyone ever tried them Adidas Berms?

I bought some when I was over in the UK. Still using them but soles are smashed now and they're probably growing anthrax. Would buy them again though. Best things are they look good and the buckle provides good support.