If You Had To Choose?

Matthew62

Got a small decision to make and thought i could do with some valid opinions and thoughts from other riders.

My stem is shot on my Inspired so needs replacing......

I've narrowed it down to either a Thomson or a Hope but am having difficulty choosing which. I hear the Thomson is the best yet i'm not hearing why? I use a few hope products and have always been happy with them, but i can get a Thomson for only £8 more and if it is the 'best' then why not...... Basically i'd like to know what makes the Thomson better than the Hope?

The last thing is stem length...... currently my stem is 105mmx10 and am stuck whether to go for a 90mm stem or a 110mm....... I imagine the 90mm would suit the Inspired best (no proof) but am concerned it might feel a little cramped?

At the moment my 105mm does hold back ever so slightly when it comes to manuals/bunnyhops so a 90mm sounds great.......i'm just wondering if it'll make backwheel stuff pretty tricky?

Any opinions from you guys would be most appreciated. I've heard the Hope bolts are a bit duff, anyone experienced this? I'd like to stick wih something British made, but like i said, if the Thomson is that much better.......

Cheers.

I personally never found much of a difference between the Hope and the Thompson. I think its down to which brand you prefer. I have a Thompson Elite on my MTB and love it, great looks and really strong.

As for length, I think it all depends on what you are used to and how you want the bike to feel. Maybe ask around and see if anyone has a couple of stems in different lengths you can try out, see which one feels most comfortable for you.

Personaly I don't like 4mm bolts, had far too many treads stripped because of them. (stems, brake mounts ect...) but thats just my preference.....other people will dissagree!!!

If it was for a MTB i'd go for HOPE just for the style and garrenties.

I ran a 50mm/10 on my t-rex and wasn't too bad.

I'd go for the smaller one for the Inspired. stems are more personal choice.

what do you want to do? more front wheel moves, more trialsy bkhoppy stuff or fluid BMXy stuff)bunny hoppy stuff???!?!?

Well like i said my 105mm current stem is just fine for trials moves bunnyhops/spines etc are pretty damn good, but i reckon they would benefit from the shorter 90mm stem. My only concern is how much/if at all noticable will more traditional moves be hampered?

I know the 110mm stem is close to what i've got but i don't think i want to go any longer....also i've heard from other people with Inspired's that a short stem compliments the bike well......

Avoid the Thomson stems that use a wedge which presses on the steerer to hold the stem on. They're complete junk as they not only damage your steerer but don't hold the headset bearings tight either. Other Thompson stems with pinch bolts are fine AFAIK.

Well like i said my 105mm current stem is just fine for trials moves bunnyhops/spines etc are pretty damn good, but i reckon they would benefit from the shorter 90mm stem. My only concern is how much/if at all noticable will more traditional moves be hampered?

I know the 110mm stem is close to what i've got but i don't think i want to go any longer....also i've heard from other people with Inspired's that a short stem compliments the bike well......

see if you can borrow a 110mm, get the feel......i wouldn't go more than 120mm!!!

personally go for 90mm/15. but i'm bout 6foot1.