Hose Shortening

willdudeXD

So, i got a magura julie HP disk for front, but the cable comes in one universal size,

im pretty sure you dont, but just to be on the safe sade..

do you have to bleed them before you cut it down? or does all the oil sit in the lever and stuff?

Right...

as far as I know, Magura disc brakes use the same olives as HS33s? Not sure though.

What you have to do, is unscrew the hose from the lever, chop it down to the size you want, attach the fittings again ( they will have fallen off when you chop hose) then put the olive on (you will need a new one, £1 from LBS) fit the brake up, and rebleed.

Right...

as far as I know, Magura disc brakes use the same olives as HS33s? Not sure though.

What you have to do, is unscrew the hose from the lever, chop it down to the size you want, attach the fittings again ( they will have fallen off when you chop hose) then put the olive on (you will need a new one, £1 from LBS) fit the brake up, and rebleed.

Lol thanks, it came with spare olives and the end attatchment thing, but i wasnt sure if the person the magura websit re-bled it after or what....it didnt say about bleeding after,

aparently if you do it carefully enough you dont need to bleed, but ill follow your instructions and if the brake is shit, ill bleed them again

thanks for the advice :)

-will

I have been able to shorten the hoses on several brakes at my shop with out re-bleeding.

I have done Maggie HS33, Avid juicy and Shimano

what i do is move my work stand very close to my work bench, and very carefully remove the line from the lever body and slide the tightening nut and dust boot farther down the line from where I will make the cut. I then lay the line on my bench and use a VERY sharp(brand new) razor blade and make a fast clean cut of the line. than I will slide a new olive on and insert it back into the lever and tighten everything up.

just be very steady when you are handling the open system so you don't shake any fluid out and introduce air bubbles.

Its similar to putting a drinking straw in your drink and cover the end with you finger, than when you take it out of the cup the drink stays in the straw until you release the vacuum