Better Or Not?

Luke.P

Hello all I finally got the tool I needed to unscrew my ffw and move my bashring to the right place, I also decided to take my bashplate off. I have seen alot of topics on them and just wonderd if I made the right choice in taking it off? I don't want to miss a rail or a gap and smash hard on the plate and mess my threads and crack frame. Just wonderd what your opinions was on this subject?

Thanks

Luke

I think If your in a position to smash hard on like you said it you might be better without for the very reasons you've mentioned! But I've not much experience with bash plates, never had a problem and always got on fine by just using a bash ring. In saying that my bash rings have always been the complete ones that you don't need to turn around to suit your chocolate foot/forward foot but I shouldn't imagine that should effect strength to much anyway unless you land hard on it at an angle it might bend easier, but can't be sure maybe someone with more experience with those half bash rings could shed some light on it

Edited by japslap

Yea I use an echo half bashring on my echo lite mod. I can't see it bending only if you land in a wierd position then yea. I'd just rather land hard on that than my frame and crack it that's all. Any other opinions on this?

Thanks

luke

Yea I use an echo half bashring on my echo lite mod. I can't see it bending only if you land in a wierd position then yea. I'd just rather land hard on that than my frame and crack it that's all. Any other opinions on this?

Thanks

luke

I think those half bash guards are used for UCI where the bash is avoided anyway but just use your half bashring and don't worry about it! If it bends get a new one! life's to short - ride hard and worry about it later

Edited by japslap

I took my bashguard off and fitted one of these : Click me

after asking the very same question and getting answers that persuaded me.

It was probably the best thing I have done on my bike for a while.

Lost loads of weight and one of the reasons I was gonna keep the bashplate was cos I kept catching that area, but it seems I was catching it because it was there if you get me, havn't had a problem of 'hanging up' since.

I took my bashguard off and fitted one of these : Click me

after asking the very same question and getting answers that persuaded me.

It was probably the best thing I have done on my bike for a while.

Lost loads of weight and one of the reasons I was gonna keep the bashplate was cos I kept catching that area, but it seems I was catching it because it was there if you get me, havn't had a problem of 'hanging up' since.

that sounds good, i think it will make you a smoother rider? As long as I still get the protection of when I do fail things. Looks alot cleaner to

I actually took my bashring off and use only a bashplate, you do pretty well to hit you freewheel on things without a bashring. I side hop to the same side as my freewhee and haven't had any trouble yet.

To point out one of the reasons i use only a bashplate is beause i bought a new echo one with my new frame and wantd to put it to use, also i think it does look good without a bashring ^_^

I actually took my bashring off and use only a bashplate, you do pretty well to hit you freewheel on things without a bashring. I side hop to the same side as my freewhee and haven't had any trouble yet.

To point out one of the reasons i use only a bashplate is beause i bought a new echo one with my new frame and wantd to put it to use, also i think it does look good without a bashring ^_^

yea understand where you coming from. I just don't wanna try a decent gap and land hard on the bashplate and crack or snap my frame, I much rather damage a bashring or a ffw or chain :)

yea understand where you coming from. I just don't wanna try a decent gap and land hard on the bashplate and crack or snap my frame, I much rather damage a bashring or a ffw or chain :)

Same i just couldnt put a dent in a new frame, i think i would cry.

a bash ring alone is good if your right foot forward , as when you land on bash if your weight is to the right , your pedal can go down , but if like me your left foot forwards , a bash ring alone would not be a good idea , as there is nothing stabelising your bike to the right hand side of the bike .

a bash ring alone is good if your right foot forward , as when you land on bash if your weight is to the right , your pedal can go down , but if like me your left foot forwards , a bash ring alone would not be a good idea , as there is nothing stabelising your bike to the right hand side of the bike .

Yea i suppose, i am left foot forwards to but i dont really intend to use it, i just want it for abit of protection so i dont have to run a plate and land hard and do something to my frame.

Well i think it depends on what type of riding you do.

If you one of those people who go out for a social and dont try anything over there limit then yea sure run a bash ring but it you like to get better and try bigger moves them keep a bashplate as you can always fall back on to the bashplate and theres no harm but you might fall onto the frame and after a while the frame will start to weaken at that point.

If your a weight weenie run a bashring haha

Well i think it depends on what type of riding you do.

If you one of those people who go out for a social and dont try anything over there limit then yea sure run a bash ring but it you like to get better and try bigger moves them keep a bashplate as you can always fall back on to the bashplate and theres no harm but you might fall onto the frame and after a while the frame will start to weaken at that point.

If your a weight weenie run a bashring haha

nah not a wieght weenie haha Yea the more you land on the plate the weaker it will get and as time progresses am guessin it could crack the frame with one good hard land on it. I ride street and i hardly ever use bash plate anyway so i thought mayaswell take it off.