Re-pressing Bearings

Bliv

Anyone ever replace the sealed cartridges in their hub?

One of the bearings in my rear hub is a little shoddy and I was talking to a buddy at his shop and he said he's done it using a vice.

I'm running n older 116mm CNC Try-all hub, anyone know what size I'd need and where to get some?

Looks like the bearings are marked LDI - 6000RS

Found this but not too much info there.

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....+bearings\

Edited by Bliv

I just push 'em in. No real trick to it. Getting the f**ked ones out whole is harder usually.

At the moment it isn't built onto a rim, are they tough enough that I will need to clam it in a vice to get them out?

They'll probably have to be hammered out of the hub. Sitting the hub face down on a wooden board with a hole the bearing can fall through and hammering the bearing from the inside should work. Hitting hard a few times will be a lot more effective than tapping it (Which may never remove the bearing).

To refit either use a vice to press the bearings in or use something like a quick release skewer or a threaded bar - the aim is to apply a controlled force to the bearings and keep them aligned. Spread grease on the surface the bearing mates with in the hub too - it should make it easier to fit and remove the new bearing.

Could probably rig something up without using a vice. But they are generally butted up against a metal lip. So pressing them in till they hit the lip is easy. Pushing them out from the other side when there is a lip in the way can be tricky.

Thanks,

I will probably use a piece of wood to place the hub on. I am planning on using a vice to press them but another idea would be to use a long bolt and a ratchet with washers like a makeshift headset press.

That was a helpful video.

I'm a little confused about the different bearing grades and materials I can get.

Can anyone explain how to tell what would be strong enough for a rear hub?

For example ABEC rating, ball grade, and Steel/ceramic ball bearings.

Edited by Bliv

As long as they are the right bearing code (size) then they will do the very best! One thing I always do with my bearings (with great results) is very carefully pick the rubber seal out (small pick or tip of a utility knife) and pack the bearing with a good quality bike grease then replace the rubber seal. This will prolong the life of the bearings ten fold. Especially if you ride off road a lot or are fond of using a powerhose!