Hope Xc (Rear) Help Please

Tomm

I need to change the bearings and pawl springs in my old Hope XC hub, like the one below. The cassette is off, as is the end cap (13 in the diagram). Now in the past, I've been able to pull the freehub body off fairly easily, to get at the pawl mechanism. Now it just won't budge at all - even with some levering with a screwdriver in the gap between the freehub and hub shell. Something has seized together, I'm sure. I don't know if perhaps the axle has become stuck to the bearings? I've tried some penetrating lube on it, no joy.

Basically is there anything else I can try and lever / hammer to get the hub apart? From the diagram it looks like I should be able to drift the axle out from the driveside --> non driveside - even with the cassette body in place? However, I've tried some pretty massive hammers and it didn't work (I just mashed the end of the axle flat...).

xc_hub2Bcass_ass_explo2Btab.jpg

Is it the older one with the threaded axle, you need like a 10-11 or 12 mm allen key.

look down the hole where the axle should be you should be able to see a hexagonal hole rather than a round one.

If not then its seized.Concider sending it to hope.

Edited by davey1991

You've got the right idea, with the end cap off you can just knock the axle out through the cassette body. It sounds like the axle has badly seized to the freehub bearings. When I've had hubs like that before, soaking them in a tub of WD40 for a day or two has helped. At the end of the day though it will just come down to a hammer and shock force. At my old bike shop we had a little tool that sat in the end of the axle and helped prevent damage. It was an inch or so long, the same diameter as the axle end, with a little bit in the middle the same thickness as a QR and a cm or so long, which went it in the axle and kept the tool in place. If you know anybody with a mill it might be worth getting one made?

Infact I remember on one hub, the QR seized to the axle and no amount of soaking or hammering would move it. The chap had to buy a new axle in the end...

From the diagram it looks like I should be able to drift the axle out from the driveside --> non driveside - even with the cassette body in place?

Yeah, you should... could try the same from the other side too (which is the way I usually do it actually), then you have more axle to get at (if you remove part number 4).

So the consensus = bigger hammer / more force. Excellent :D

I should have said before, I've had this very hub apart at least once or twice without difficulty. I guess something has seized since the last time I took it to pieces.

Yeah, you should... could try the same from the other side too (which is the way I usually do it actually), then you have more axle to get at (if you remove part number 4).

Hmmm. I haven't actually tried that but I'd be concerned that I would lose the pawls as they would presumably go flying out when I loosen the axle from the non drive side?

Hmmm. I haven't actually tried that but I'd be concerned that I would lose the pawls as they would presumably go flying out when I loosen the axle from the non drive side?

Wrap it in a cloth/bag and that should catch them hopefully... Does sound like something has seized though as you said :(