M.a.d. Phase 1.2 Upgrade Advice Needed!

Dwarf Shortage

Hey, anytime I get money I end up wasting it on crap, and I want some stuff to upgrade on my bike so it can give me something to save towards :D

I've got a M.A.D Phase 1.2, Spec:

Handlebars: MAD oversized

Stem: MAD oversized

Brakes: Magura HS 33 hydraulic rim brakes

Chainset: Suntour Duro Trails cranks with ISIS splined bottom bracket set

Wheels: Alex trails rims

Tyres: Maxxis High Roller super tacky compound tyres

I haven't changed anything yet, and would appreciate some advice on which parts need replacing most :D

Oh, and I copied the spec from Evans Cycles as I don't really know it entirely, so if something doesn't seem right, I could go and have a look.

Ryan x

Hi Ryan, is there anything you have in mind that you would like to change?

You can pretty run whatever you like on the Phase bikes, just like any other trials bike. I myself run the standard frame, fork, bar and stem. Then upgraded parts are Echo TR hubs on Dob rim front and Onza Reggie rear rim, try-all cranks with front freewheel, rear fixed cog with Echo TR tensioner, hs 33 rear brake with Magura CNC lever, Avid Juicy 7 front brake, Wellgo Magnesium pedals, trialtech rear booster, FSA headset, Schwalbe Big Betty rear tyre and Schwalbe Nobby Nic front tyre.

Hope that helps. Some of the other team members run Hope Pro 2 hubs and then a similar set up to myself.

Even though I'm only 9 stone-ish, I'm still a bit of a basher so I'm more bothered about strength than weight atm :P

Hi Ryan, is there anything you have in mind that you would like to change?

I don't know what's worth changing and what's worth keeping haha, although I know I want some new pedals and some yellow heatsinks, that's about it...

I was just wondering if there's components on the 1.2s that are major things to change to improve it, and that people would change right out the box.

And I'm still debating whether to go single speed or not, as I detest gears and mine have started skipping a lot recently, but I use it for long distance as well, and it could be getting even longer soon.

Ryan x

Edited by Ninja Manatee

The 1.2's come really well equipped to get you going, but a bit of upgrading goes a long way!

Rear hub: This is a standard shimano unit, and should be changed first, either to a Hope Pro2 or Chris King, or swap cranks and hub to a front freewheel set up.

Brake Pads: Again, standard magura blacks - fit some new ones, preferably with metal backings

Headset: Plastic components, dies quickly. Fit a decent one

Chain tensioner: Comes with a derallieur, swap it for a singlespeed chain tensioner, then ditch the gears

Those are the key ones, from there I'd swap the chain to something suitable, tyres (Shwalbe Big Betty rear and Racing Ralph up front are a perfect match), cranks and pedals maybe, and then play with stem stackers and the like to get a feel for changing geometries.

Like Nick, I run the standard frame, forks, bars and stem (and rear rim).

(Y)

(Phatmike here)

Edited by Danny Brady