Is This A Good Idea?

KH3M

Hey there guys, I want to get a 'Mod' or a 20" bike or whatever you guys call them, not really too sure :S

Anyway, I've seen a bike on eBay, and it isn't exactly what I want - But this is my plan. It's a Mission, not sure what model, but it's got a frame like a T-Bird which I hate, so I plan to get a new frame, and swap it all round. Purely because this Mission has full HS33's, Creepy Crawler on the rear and such & such.

So do you think this is a good idea? There are a few good bikes on the Bay at the moment.. There is an Onza T-Mag on there with a bent frame, otherwise nice bike - Full HS33's and stuff again..

Reason i'd like to do this, is because I'm 16, I'm around 5'8, I ride BMX - and I'm pretty skint.

Cheers, KH3M.

Hey there guys, I want to get a 'Mod' or a 20" bike or whatever you guys call them, not really too sure :S

Anyway, I've seen a bike on eBay, and it isn't exactly what I want - But this is my plan. It's a Mission, not sure what model, but it's got a frame like a T-Bird which I hate, so I plan to get a new frame, and swap it all round. Purely because this Mission has full HS33's, Creepy Crawler on the rear and such & such.

So do you think this is a good idea? There are a few good bikes on the Bay at the moment.. There is an Onza T-Mag on there with a bent frame, otherwise nice bike - Full HS33's and stuff again..

Reason i'd like to do this, is because I'm 16, I'm around 5'8, I ride BMX - and I'm pretty skint.

Cheers, KH3M.

It depends on how much the mission would cost?

Hey,

I was in exactly the same boat except I'm 28 and trying to get back into trials.....

I've wanted a 20"er / MOD for about 14 years so I went and bought a Mission Compo off of ebay as it was just a little more special than an onza or such like. I won the auction, got the bike posted to me and when it turned up it had a crack in the headtube.

I got it for a bargain price (which got discounted further upon finding the crack) so I have bought it just for all the parts and I'm swapping them across to another frame.

As long as the bike comes up cheap enough I can't see a problem with buying the bike to strip. Frames can be obtained on here relatively cheap too. ^_^

If I had done a bit more research before buying I probably would have tried to build a bike from buying parts on here.

It depends on how much the mission would cost?

The Mission is up for £65 starting price, 7 days left, with no bids as of yet. - There is also a nice Da Bomb Pro 04' on there, 2 days left £100 starting price - but Da Bombs seem to get a bum wrap on here.. It is really nice looking, and is exactly what I want to be honest.. Although I would prefer an Onza, but you know - It will be my first bike so i'm not looking for an amazing top notch one, just something to bash about on. And I want it to have Maguras because I think V Brakes are tempermental and can be weak. :rolleyes:

And when I've got some more cash, I'd like to get an Inspired or something, and nice 24 incher :D

Hey,

I was in exactly the same boat except I'm 28 and trying to get back into trials.....

I've wanted a 20"er / MOD for about 14 years so I went and bought a Mission Compo off of ebay as it was just a little more special than an onza or such like. I won the auction, got the bike posted to me and when it turned up it had a crack in the headtube.

I got it for a bargain price (which got discounted further upon finding the crack) so I have bought it just for all the parts and I'm swapping them across to another frame.

As long as the bike comes up cheap enough I can't see a problem with buying the bike to strip. Frames can be obtained on here relatively cheap too. ^_^

If I had done a bit more research before buying I probably would have tried to build a bike from buying parts on here.

Wow, we really are in the same boat.. Apart for the 12 year age difference that is :lol:

I was looking at the compo, but it seems to me that the cranks are so low to the ground! They look like they would bottom out around corners if you were just regularly riding... but still, a nice bike - very long aswell.

How much did you pick her up for? And how much was the postage? I was looking at couriers that were asking silly money! and yeah, I was hoping to get a Onza frame on here, something along those lines.. :D

Cheers Guys, KH3M.

Edited by KH3M

Wow, we really are in the same boat.. Apart for the 12 year age difference that is :lol:

I was looking at the compo, but it seems to me that the cranks are so low to the ground! They look like they would bottom out around corners if you were just regularly riding... but still, a nice bike - very long aswell.

How much did you pick her up for? And how much was the postage? I was looking at couriers that were asking silly money! and yeah, I was hoping to get a Onza frame on here, something along those lines.. :D

Cheers Guys, KH3M.

Haha..... 12 years??? That does make me feel old!!

I bought the bike for £80 with £20 postage. It needed a new rear wheel bolt which I replaced for under a fiver.

But it wasn't until I started building it up that I realised the crack in the headtube.

The previous owner hadn't realised the crack so offered me a partial refund if I wanted the bike for spares or a full refund. I took it for £50.

And now I've just bought an Onza frame off of here for £30 so an actual usable bike should still bring me in under my £100 budget!!

33906_435865050457_537655457_5640440_7992458_n.jpg

New frame being built up this weekend....... For a 28 year old I'm far too excited about this..... :lol:

I have had a quick ride around on the mission and I quite like it. Very easy to ride (I thought the frame felt quite short??) and yes the bottom bracket is lower than a lot of other frames but this would probably help if you are new to trials.

Also.... If you do end up with the Mission with Maguras it may be worth investing in a brake booster as the brakes flex the rear stays on the bike quite a lot and make the back brake a little spongey!!

Edited by Freddyem

I bought the bike for £80 with £20 postage. It needed a new rear wheel bolt which I replaced for under a fiver.

But it wasn't until I started building it up that I realised the crack in the headtube.

The previous owner hadn't realised the crack so offered me a partial refund if I wanted the bike for spares or a full refund. I took it for £50.

And now I've just bought an Onza frame off of here for £30 so an actual usable bike should still bring me in under my £100 budget!!

New frame being built up this weekend....... For a 28 year old I'm far too excited about this..... :lol:

I have had a quick ride around on the mission and I quite like it. Very easy to ride (I thought the frame felt quite short??) and yes the bottom bracket is lower than a lot of other frames but this would probably help if you are new to trials.

Also.... If you do end up with the Mission with Maguras it may be worth investing in a brake booster as the brakes flex the rear stays on the bike quite a lot and make the back brake a little spongey!!

Haha! It's not that bad, seriously - you're still young!

Wow.. only 80 squid? thats really good, and even better for 50! **** me! and postage is good aswell, I was expecting a bit more than that.

Ahh, at least the previous owner wasn't an arsehole! :D

You should be excited! I get excited about getting one by just looking at the pictures!! :D Hmmm, it looks very long in pictures, must just be my eyes decieving me. But corr she is a beaut! makes me want one now!

Keep me posted man, I'd love to see what it looks like after the rebuild! :D

Cheers, KH3M.

i,m 29 mate i get excited every day about riding , loves it