Bike Choice

lecybike

Having spent the last few days looking at different bikes to buy ,i am amazed at the mount of different configurations you can go for.

Now am a big mountain bike fan, and although there are lots of different makes models and manufactures, it is very easy to get good advice from lots of different bike shops in the southwest, there are some very good guys who are willing to give out good free advice on what type of bike is good for your riding style etc, without trying to get you to buy from them!

Now onto my point, in the southwest to my knowledge there isn't any shops that sell a range of trial cycles or for that matter are even that intreasted, i suppose this is down to the fact that there isn't that much intreast in the sport in devon/cornwall so they wouldn't make any money at it!!

So i need more help from you guys from vast knowledge of the sport

1. wheel size......this doesn't matter to much?

2. why do some have gears?

3 .single speed, what ratio to go for?

4. buying new bike from a shop....is this a good idea?

5. brakes...disc or rim

6.is it good to buy various bits and build it yourself?

there are hundreds of other questions but i realized i have sent half of you to sleep already! so i will stop......

Anyway a conclussion i have come to is the that this aspect of cycling seems very much left for a hardcore few trying to keep it from the masses,which seems a bit strange because, the more people that get into it, the more bikes that sell which means the cheaper they become, which has to be a bonus for eveyone?

Hi , well if you are going to start trials i would first like to say , GOOD ON YOU , but anyway i will answer some of your questions, some trials bikes have gears but in my life time i have only seen 1 with gears so i wouldnt bother . The best single spead gear ratio for me on my 20 inch is 18t freewheel ( on the front ) and a 12t sprocket on the back. On a 26 inch i have heared on people running a 24t on the front and 18t on the back but that may not be accurate. Wheel size ...mmmm well 26inch bikes are aparantly easier to get up stuff on but on the other hand a 20 inch bike is easier to throw around. Buying from a shop, well not many shops really sell trials bikes so i recon your best bet is to go online on either tarty bikes or any other websites. Disc would be my option i have a double disc 20 inch frame and it to me is awsome but i have to say if you buy a 26 inch double rim brake a magura front and rear. Well buying little bits is ok but it would be alot easier to buy a full build . A website i strongly recomend for full builds and parts would be tarty bikes .

Hope my advice has helped you and i hope you enjoy starting trials .

Edited by gurider2010

Hi , well if you are going to start trials i would first like to say , GOOD ON YOU , but anyway i will answer some of your questions, some trials bikes have gears but in my life time i have only seen 1 with gears so i wouldnt bother . The best single spead gear ratio for me on my 20 inch is 18t freewheel ( on the front ) and a 12t sprocket on the back. On a 26 inch i have heared on people running a 24t on the front and 18t on the back but that may not be accurate. Wheel size ...mmmm well 26inch bikes are aparantly easier to get up stuff on but on the other hand a 20 inch bike is easier to throw around. Buying from a shop, well not many shops really sell trials bikes so i recon your best bet is to go online on either tarty bikes or any other websites. Disc would be my option i have a double disc 20 inch frame and it to me is awsome but i have to say if you buy a 26 inch double rim brake a magura front and rear. Well buying little bits is ok but it would be alot easier to buy a full build . A website i strongly recomend for full builds and parts would be tarty bikes .

Hope my advice has helped you and i hope you enjoy starting trials .

hi

hey thanks very much for your input!

i spoke with a guy at tarty bikes today, can't remember his name but he was a top bloke and he advised me on buying a new bikes, after going through the options, we agreed on a echo lite spec 1, its slightly more than what i wanted to spend but heyho.......its only money!!!

thanks again for your help!

First off;

Wheel size - Difference in wheel size is quite big and important :S. 20" are decent for learning on in my opinion, as they are easier to chuck about and i like the thick rear tyre. Theyre more spinny for learning those types of moves, harder to get up big stuff but your not going to be getting up big stuff when learning anyway :P. Would advise away from 24" if your a beginner.

Gears - More the oldschool bikes had gears, not many of the new ones really. Was mainly because people just rode trials on upgraded mountain bikes which had gears, but now the bikes are so specific for trials they only need the 1 gear.

Ratio - 18-15 is good on a 26" (Stock) and for mod i think like 18-12 or something is what most people use

Buying from shop - Allways a decent a idea as you know its not been trashed and everything is greased up and serviced properly, especially if you dont have alot of previous bike experience to do this yourself. Second hand can also be good as you can get a real bargain with top parts for not alot of money, just be sure you are getting a good deal and not getting ripped off - once u start riding and learning more youll know whats good and whats not, especially for your style, as what someone else might think is a really good setup, you might not personally like. If you have the budget, go brand new.

Disc/Rim - HS33's are used by the majority of people on the rear, and alot of people use discs on the front. Personally if i rode a 20" i would go for dual disc, as i like the look, however dual HS33's are probably just as good, again personal preference with bleed/pads etc.

Building yourself - A very expensive way to do it to be honest, however you can get exactly what you want. As a begginer you probably dont know what you want so i would advise away again.

As for the comment at the end, i dont think people are disuaded from trials? Everyone i know who rides would love more people to get into the sport, but maybe different areas are different I like to think the majority of people who ride trials are good guys, and happy to help you out whenever really :$.

Hope i helped.

Edited by Jon Alty

First off;

Wheel size - Difference in wheel size is quite big and important :S. 20" are decent for learning on in my opinion, as they are easier to chuck about and i like the thick rear tyre. Theyre more spinny for learning those types of moves, harder to get up big stuff but your not going to be getting up big stuff when learning anyway :P. Would advise away from 24" if your a beginner.

Gears - More the oldschool bikes had gears, not many of the new ones really. Was mainly because people just rode trials on upgraded mountain bikes which had gears, but now the bikes are so specific for trials they only need the 1 gear.

Ratio - 18-15 is good on a 26" (Stock) and for mod i think like 18-12 or something is what most people use

Buying from shop - Allways a decent a idea as you know its not been trashed and everything is greased up and serviced properly, especially if you dont have alot of previous bike experience to do this yourself. Second hand can also be good as you can get a real bargain with top parts for not alot of money, just be sure you are getting a good deal and not getting ripped off - once u start riding and learning more youll know whats good and whats not, especially for your style, as what someone else might think is a really good setup, you might not personally like. If you have the budget, go brand new.

Disc/Rim - HS33's are used by the majority of people on the rear, and alot of people use discs on the front. Personally if i rode a 20" i would go for dual disc, as i like the look, however dual HS33's are probably just as good, again personal preference with bleed/pads etc.

Building yourself - A very expensive way to do it to be honest, however you can get exactly what you want. As a begginer you probably dont know what you want so i would advise away again.

As for the comment at the end, i dont think people are disuaded from trials? Everyone i know who rides would love more people to get into the sport, but maybe different areas are different I like to think the majority of people who ride trials are good guys, and happy to help you out whenever really :$.

Hope i helped.

hi

well thanks very much for your advise!

Time to go and buy my new 20" bike and try to re live my youth!?!?!?!?!