Frame Swap Help

crashbanggg

it should do the only other things could be the seatpost size could be different, i imagine the headset will be the same size, and i would say the bottom bracket should be the same size, what full sus you got? have a gander online and check seatpost sizes just in case, just thought steerer tube might be different but looks like you got plenty of spacers so you should be ok with that one :)

Gear cables may be wrong, they will probably be long enough but the outers will all need to be different lengths unless your lucky.

Thats something Im looking to change since my current ones are pretty knackered, any you could suggest?

I imagine the chain hasn't been changed since 2006, 1% wear would be a bit optimistic :P

What would be the cheapest (Without just having pure shite bits)of getting a new cassette / chain rings / chain?

And are there any gear cable kits that anyone would recommended?

Personal opinion, but one of the best value combos I have used ( and all my friends use it) is a shimano HG61 (presuming 9 speed) and a SRAM PC951 chain. Don't bother with shimano chains unless you love fixing them. You could get away with chainrings (although they will wear out new stuff).

Not sure on gear cables. I normally run a Clarks cable or similar as they generally get changed on my bike fairly often. But that cassette and chain option up there is seriously reccomended!

Yea should be ok with that. I used to run a 28-11 cassette on a double and bash setup with a 22/32 rings up front. I do much more All Mountain and trail style riding now and am using a 34-11 cassette and a 22/36 rings up the front and it's perfect. If you spin up hills often, a large range is a must.

Thanks for all your help :) I've just brought that cassette, chain and a middle chain ring!

Yet more questions...

When I took my bike to a bike shop for some repairs (I massively regret that now, I could have done it for a fifth of the price <_< ) In the advisory bit, they mentioned my rear mech being bent (Not the hanger) and said replacing that could improve gear performance. I've put up some pictures to try and illustrate this, will getting a new mech make a dramatic difference? At the moment my gears require a lot of force to change down and it has to be done a few at a time rather than being able to click down one each time, but is this just due to crap cables/ cassette/ chain etc?

106_0241.jpg

106_0242.jpg

106_0243.jpg

It's pretty hard to tell really. What shifters you running? That's what makes most of the difference. Looking at the pictures the mech may be slightly bent (again it's hard to tell). With the bike upside down, if both jockey wheels don't line up with the selected gear, just try bending it untill they do. I've never bent an actual mech before.

They're just the standard Deore shifters that it came with. I was only really debating a new deraillur as there is one on Ebay which looks as if it wont be going up in price at all, £15 for a new Deore Deraillur seems pretty good if I do need a new one!

If those shifters where new in 2006 I wouldn't mind betting there knackard (obviously could be wrong, but having just replaced a set of 2006 deore shifters mine where bad). If you can afford it shifters will always be a good upgrade (the price of shifters annoys me but a good pair make all the difference). Look out for a second hand xt mech if your going to get one. The shadow version is shit hot!!

It's really hard to tell from that picture. But yeah, the mech is pointed a bit inwards. It should be perpedicular to the axle / parallel to the hanger. Sometimes when they get older, mechs will develop slop and they will naturally sit in that position - the bottom of the cage will wobble laterally if you try. In that case, yes a new mech would probably help. You're probably not doing it any harm like that though, I wouldn't bother replacing it unless shifting is a problem. Te exception would be if the mech looks like it could go into the spokes (E.g. in Middle/big ring and biggest sprocket at the back), then it's worth replacing the mech because it'll cost lots if that happens.

In that first picture, the hanger does look a bit bent inwards but it's probably impossible to say.

Yeh I think they'll be XT shifters, someones offered me some 'M750 Shimano XT 9spd shifters‏' for £30, he says they're in good condition, does that sound ok?

EDIT: Just brought them anyway! God knows what my parents are going to say about all this new stuff :|

Edited by crashbanggg