Pedals Stuck

Kieran Morrison

Hey, got new pedals today and tryed to take my old ones off, they turn not even a quarter of the way then go really stiff and wont turn. What can i do to take em out?

Cheers.

If your just using a normal spanner, try a pedal wrench which has more lever age, and if that doesn't work slide another bar over the wrench to give even more leverage, then when putting your new pedals on (if you have access) tap the pedal threads out and put copper grease on them so they don't seize in.

Shane

so you have broken the tight seal and have removed a quarter of the threads but then they go tight again.

I would suggest there is dirt and crap on the threads, or when they were fitted the threads were damaged or you used something like locktight?. have you tried spraying WD40 etc on the exposed threads(remember the let it soak in for 5 mins) and then screwing them back in and back out a few times to loosen any crap that might be on the threads. if that dont work i can only recommend brute force (do this at your own risk) lol

if your sure they are absolutly stuck and want to remove, take the crank arm off and put the pedal spanner and pedal in a large vice ( so that the crank arm can still turn but the pedal and spanner are clamped)then get a long metal tube and slide it on the crank arm,(for leverage, the longer the tube the easier it will be) after which start to gently work the crank arm off the pedal. remmember pedals are left and right hand threads so they wont screw off the same direction. check this before you start using leverage or you will tighten it more not loosen it off (IMPORTANT). If they wont budge doing this the i would say the threads have been cross threaded so they wont unscrew.

the other option with leverage is to spin the crank round so its sitting on a concrete block or step etc( so it wont move when you puch down). put the spanner on and the put a long bar (for leverage) on the spanner and try and loosen it. I would only do it this way if you A) dont have a vice or B) cant remove the crank arms. Its not as effectvie unclanpped because things can twist etc.

if you imagine you are standing over the bike like when riding it with the spanner verticle, you are turning the spanner towards the back of the bike? sounds silly but your not turning them the wrong way? if your sure your unscrewing then i suggest leverage of some sort (after a spray of WD40.)

have a look at the pedals. usually they have an L or an R on them right/left check they were screwed in the right way. if not this would explain the stripped threads.

so the second pedal wont come out even with a huge lever. probly best to get new cranks if the the threads are bust anyways though.

have a look at the pedals. usually they have an L or an R on them right/left check they were screwed in the right way. if not this would explain the stripped threads.

so the second pedal wont come out even with a huge lever. probly best to get new cranks if the the threads are bust anyways though.

just got it out, took me ages though. Wasn't stripped, and new pedals are in. Cheers for all your help though mate!