New freewheel = mislined brake mounts + snapped chain

hezzay

Gentlemen,

I recently swapped out my monty 18t freehweel for a try-all 108.9 17t freewheel.

When I started riding I heard a few loud clicks coming from the chainline, which worried me a bit. They did not return. However, after riding for an hour, perhaps two, my chain snapped!

Any idea how this could have happened? I never had issues with the monty and the spacing is exactly the same, my chainline is perfectly straight. (except for the wobble in the BB, but that didn't cause an issue with the monty freewheel)

I did figure out why the brake mounts were mislined, I did not shorten the chain causing my wheel being too far back in the dropouts.

1) The freewheel needs some 'non trials' use for a bit to bed in. The noise is the freewheel skipping, which will have done some damage but not too bad given its now stopped.

2) You might struggle to get alignment since the frame will be designed for an 18t up front, its workable though.

3) The smaller front sprocket puts more load on the chain, you need something nice and strong. What are you running at the moment?

• Like 1

Adam,

Thanks for replying ever so quickly.

I did bed it in, I rolled around the street and biked it around for an hour or two before pedal kicking or putting other heavy load on the freewheel, plus I threw some WD40 in there to get most of the grease out. I'm pretty sure the clacking noise was the chain, because it came off at one point. I think this is due to the misalignment.

Could the alginment be fixed by taking off one link in the chain, so the hub is resting deeper in the dropouts?

I'm not sure what chain I was using but it broke, so it's in the bin now! I'm using a KMC Z610HX now. I fitted the old freewheel back on and all is well. I'll try fitting the new one sometime soon.

Edited by hezzay

I haven't a clue. May just have been a stupid coincidence making me think it was the new freewheel. It was a second hand bike, with a second hand chain. Could well have been the age I suppose.

New chain works like a freakin' dream though.