Servicing And Tightening Acs Claws!

rich4130

Servicing and Tightening ACS Claws! (yea its boring as...)

I had ago at this and spent most of the day poncing about wasting time and getting really f**ked off with it, so I thought I'd at least make

use of the time I wasted by telling how people how to do it well..

Im gonna asume that you have it off a wheel/crank, but its not too important, just makes life easier...

Right, first thing you will see is this:

[1st image]

See the two dimple things? this is what you use to undo the cover, find something suitable to fit in the hole (I found a pin-punch, or a

cross head screwdriver are pretty good..) Put your chosen implement in one of the dimples, get a hammer and tap the whatever hard in a

clockwise direction (look at pic above, if your unsure), it should start to give, when you can turn it by hand stop, take it somewhere you'll be able to find any dropped bearings, I dropped f**k loads of mine and had to split open an old freewheel to get some more, be careful..

Put it on a flat surface, then undo the cover, you will see this, but with the BB's and spacer shim things inplace in place..

[image2]

If you just want to tighten it up do this:

Remove all the ball bearings and put them somewhere safe, tweezers or a magnetic screwdriver rule for this.

The threaded centre bit what the cover came off will need all the shite cleaning off it if, 'cos loctite needs a clean surface, get some

degreaser stuff, (thinners, muc-off etc) and a cotton bud and give it a good ole clean, put the BB's back in with some grease, clean the

threads again if you get messy, wack some loctite on the threads, and do up the cover (err anticlockwise) do it nice n tight so theres no

play and let it set for 24 hours.

If you want to dick about and clean and lube do this:

Get a tub, icecream or summat, pick up the fwheel by the centre remover tabs, and basically drop all the bits in the tub, you'll only do it

at some point later anyway.

Give them all a clean, I just sprayed a shitload of GT85 on them..

Get the freewheel body (bit with the teeth on), put the bit that the pawls go into it with a pawl or 2 attached, and make sure you have it

the correct way up so the pawls engage in the freewheel body, you'll work it out, take it out, turn the freewheel body upside down and put

all the bearings back in, use grease to stick em in, magnetic screwdriver good for this.

Get the bit that the pawls attatch to, (without any of them on) and put it through the freewheel body so that it runs on the bearings, pretty

obvious, turn it all over very carefully, holding it all together.

Now put the pawls back in, get a pawl, and a needle or something to hold the spring back, try and drop it in so it goes inton the hole, might

take a few goes, repeat for all 4.

Put the shims back in, then the other set of bearings, dab of grease again, then put it all back together how it says above...

Think thats it... it takes so long and does so little unless you've had it a while its probs not worth doing anyway....

rich...

[will get pics up when its all sorted out..]

Edited by rich4130