Camera Uploading Videos

Ingram

hi, Im a bit copnfused as how to upload videos onto my computer, I have the camera plugged into my firwire port, its turned onto play. I am using Windows movie maker to upload them (I need to get a better program) anyway, wen i try to upload them i get this screen saying "unspecified error" or if i try uploading them from "my computer" and right mouse button and go to "get pictures" it takes me to the wizard, i click next and eventually it brings up a screen saying "creation of the video preview failed. Please check the device connection and make sure that the device is not being used by another aplacation or user." Its not though (Y) can someone please help i am getting very fustrated, thanks loads in advance

its a pci one and i didnt build my computer, ive tried different slots but n o luck :blink:

Has it got more than one port on it? Try all of em.

What OS you running? WinXP pro? Check control panel > System > hardware > device manager. Is there anything in there that has an exclamation by it? Sounds like some dodgy drivers to me.

Getting low on ideas now :(

I have XP, I've checked the device manager and all its says is taht they are runing fine, I do have more than one port, i have 3, tried them all, (will try again) but i think like andrew said, it must be the cable, ive tried uploding them with different programs, no luck :blink: :S Only other thing i can think of its a dodgy port on the camera? Thanks for all your help apreciate it laods :( :)

ah one more thing, it has the 4 pin? (is it called that small end?) on the vcard and the big end (6 pin??) the cable i have at the moment is a 6-pin/4-pin, if i got a 4-pin/4-pin would this solve the problem as i have bother ports on the firwore card? cheers

ah one more thing, it has the 4 pin? (is it called that small end?) on the vcard and the big end (6 pin??) the cable i have at the moment is a 6-pin/4-pin, if i got a 4-pin/4-pin would this solve the problem as i have bother ports on the firwore card? cheers

Unlikely. I *think* 6 pin firewire has a power supply to the camera. But I don't think a video camera would use it. Either way, a 6pin/4pin lead should work fine, unless there's something wrong with the actual lead itself. It's either gonna be your firewire card, the cable, or the camera. Try a new cable first, if that doesn't work, try a new card or camera (Or other firewire device).