363 Mod Chainstays...

Bennnn

Alright so I'm getting a custom mod frame made up since my Monty has finally died. :turned:

I'm sure about getting a 72 degrees head angle, 305 mm bottom bracket height, and the wheelbase will depend about 10 mm depending on the chainstay length. The wheelbase will be 990 if I go with 362 and 1000 if I go with 372 with a fork of 45 mm rake.

So what I need to know is 362 mm chainstays all that better on the rear as everyone is saying? Or should I stick with 372 mm chainstays?

I'll post some pictures of it when it's done should be rather good, It'll also have some cool stuff like an integrated booster, CNC chainstay yolk, Magura mounts under the frame for a cleaner look, seat post, and baby blue paint.

Ben

362 chainstays are really good, feel great whilst on the backwheel only thing is its twitchy like with longer chainstays if your weight shifts slightly to the left you can get your balance back wheras with the 362 chainstays the slightest movement makes you hop if you get what i mean, once your used to it their fine though, i'd go with 362, much better and you can gap just as far i also find it easier to go upto backwheel (frontap, pedalhop, pausehop there all easier) with shorter chainstays

372 IMO.

I had 384mm stays on my Leeson mod, with similar bb height and head angle and a wheel base of 1020. And it felt lovely.

Longer stays mean harder to hold on backwheel, but feels better for gaps/sidehops etc. Seeing as its a mod and therefore really easy on the backwheel anyway, longer stays can be run without too much difference to control, just nicer to gap I found.

Short stays as someone said above can mean the bike becomes very twitchy and "pogo-sticky"which means they are very easy to place on backwheel and to hold there, but also easy to mean if your not totally incontrol you can bouncy off sideways or all over place.

Its up to you really. Go ride some bikes, try mods witrh long back ends and short backends and see what you prefer. Personally I'd go for the longerstays of your choice.

With shorter chain stays it makes the bike more flicky, and easy for going up manoevers.

Where as longer chain stays makes the bike want to go forwards more.

So IMO 372 is going to be the better length.

And when you say 305mm bb rise, do you mean from the floor?

Ive just come from 362mm stays to 374mm stays, and I would say once you get used to them both, 374 is perhaps a tiy bit better for gapping, and a fair bit better for manuals and bunnyhops. However, if you are not going to do manuals, bunnyhops or spins at all then I would say the shorter stays have the edge but on a slightly longer frame. If it had to be a 990mm wheelbase with the shorter stays, Im not sure which would be better, as the frame would not have any "extra" reach over the frame with longer stays, to compensate for power-moves. (Y)

With a ruler, usually.

Its the height of the BB, from the floor, to the centre of the BB axle.

No offence intended, but, if you're unsure as to what BB height is, it might not be that fruitful designing your own frame geometry...

With a ruler, usually.

Its the height of the BB, from the floor, to the centre of the BB axle.

No offence intended, but, if you're unsure as to what BB height is, it might not be that fruitful designing your own frame geometry...

Okay, thing is, the Monty website says 305 but when I measured mine it was like 312. Maybe I measured wrong I'll check again.