Fish

Todge

Hey guys.

Does anyone on here know about fish (Y)

Our fish are starting to keel over and die in one of our ponds and am getting a bit fed up with using the old net to haul them out. Mum put some stuff in it the other day to oxgenate it (like a chemical, not the weed as there is some in there already) which claimed to not harm fish, but since then, they have started to get good at floating.

So anyone who has any advise on what to do?

We have another pond, which is for frogs and is rather manky, and also a water butt we could put them in for now :P whilst we sort the fishy pond out.

Otherwise, they are all gonna die, and no one wants that (Y)

PS, if i knew of any fishy forums I would have checked on there, but I dont ;)"

Is your filtered water being pumped back into the pond above the surface of the water?

It should be! So that the ripples and splashes create air bubbles to oxeginate the water.

Otherwise just buy a pump. My old friend had a cheap £5 pump that he kept inside and bought some long tubing and attacthed it so tha he could use it outside but keep the actuall pump inside his house.

What are you cleaning the water with and what are you feeding them? Try feeding them aquarian food, thats the most expensive but best food you can buy and it doesnt make the pond/tank cloudy.

Sam, hope I've helped

Do aquarian even do carp pellets though?

Check your fish for diseases, i cant remember all of them as i ant as in to them as i used to be but the most common is either white spot or fin rot.

There pretty self explanatory real , so if you see any abnormal symptoms on your fisgh ask again on here and describe then go to the pet shop/ local aquarium and get the right medicine for them.

All you do thn is pay around £4 mix the treatment into the appropriate amount of water and let it into the main tank.

Any severely ill fish either quarantine and give some luvingor keep your eye out.

Its usually better to seperate them in an old tank etc depending on size and availabilty etc as the disease will be less likely to pass on and they should heal faster seperately.

Are your running a filter or an air pump?

usefull tip, air line hosing for fish pumps fits perfectly onto car and hope bleed nipples (Y)

Edited by Caleb

Do aquarian even do carp pellets though?

Check your fish for diseases, i cant remember all of them as i ant as in to them as i used to be but the most common is either white spot or fin rot.

Dunno. I used to feed my koi carp on aquarian flakes.

Yeah diseases.. Look directly down ontop of your fish and see if the scales are all pointing outwards like a christmas tree. This is impossible to cure and spreads like a beast and is quite common.

Sam

Ok. Just clean everything..

Get a bucket, a few freezer bags, a hose and pond cleaner.

1) Fill the bucket half full with current pond water.

2) Fill the freezerbags with current pond water.

3) Catch fish and put them in freezerbags and put the bags in the bucket, but not letting the fish escape from the bags. (This keeps them at the same temperature)

4) Syphon out pond and poke the base of the pond at the same time with a blunt stick to free the grime on the bottom.

5) Get out your pond cleaning fluid and folow the instructions. Use a new brillo pad get rid of hard gunk on the lining.

6) Clean the filter sponge in fresh water, rolling it around in your hands and giving it a good squeeze. Also (if your filter is a fluval or one of many other brands) take it apart and clean the little spinny star shaped thing which will probably be gunked up.

7) Fill the pond up again with hose water. (Some people say use water from streams but a hose is good enough).

8) Still with the fish in the bag, put the freezer bags into the pond, keeping the top of the bags above the surface of the water to prevent them from sinking. This alows the fish to adjust to the change in water temperature, even thought they are cold waters. (Use a rock or something to hold the bags at the edge of the pond)

9) After 20 mins, let the fish free into the pond.

DONE!

No more dead fish!

Why do I know so much about fish when I havnt had any for about 5 years?

Sam

Edited by Sam@SouthTrials

Sounds like not enough oxygen in the pond and this heat we are having won't help.Make sure the filter in the pump is not clogged up(I hope you have got a pump and filter running).?If not ,its bye bye fish.

Our koi are huge and only like live maggots or worms.

Edited by Interested

Otherwise just buy a pump. My old friend had a cheap £5 pump that he kept inside and bought some long tubing and attacthed it so tha he could use it outside but keep the actuall pump inside his house.

dont most pumps (i know mine does) sink and you put them in the pond itself, and decent pumps cost abit more than a fiver, you need one which runs the water through quickly to keep it clean, also, if you need 2 top up the water or anything, do it gradually as the chlorine in normal hose water can kill the fish, that chlorine goes away in a week so add abit of water each week if more water needs to be added.

could also buy a cheap water tester to test the water for shit and to make sure the water is neutral.

Edited by MC-Bolo!