Square Taper Vs Isis

ghosts_cloak

Its been said before, but with quality cranks like middleburns you WONT have any problems with square taper as long as the bolts are kept tight. I just done mine up incredibly tight in the first place (using a pipe on the end of the allen key) and havent needed to have them tightened at all since I put them on several months ago.

I doubt whatever people on this forum say there is honestly much difference in stiffness to be had by going for the much more expensive (and IMO less reliable/predictable) ISIS. Square tapers plenty stiff enough, go for it!

I say square too,

i've never had any problems with square taper, and anyone who looks after their bike never should have a problem with them.

Just check you crank bolts are tight frequently and its all good. (Y)

Yeah, basically.

id go for isis for the reason thats this: if your round of your square taper cranks then your 120 guid down, but on the other hand you buy isis, the bottom bracket bearings is the weak spot so if it goes its a new bb but the taper on the cranks will be fine so just get a new bb for around 30-40quid, isis are also stiffer which is useful in trials

The only problem is, because of Clive's, um, "interesting" bb arrangement, it's not as simple as just replacing the BB. You'd need to send the frame back to him I think :D For that reason, on a Leeson I would go square. For everything else, I'd probably say ISIS. My ISIS burns were ace (And I never had any BB problems) :D

Thanks for that Tomm,

Do you know whether you have to send the frame back for a replacement BB for both square taper and ISIS or just for the ISIS BB?

Cheers,

~Gareth

I think for both. Apparently the BB is held in with a circlip and a lot of epoxy or something. Either way, it's not something you can just do at home. The thing is that Shimano square taper BB's seem to last forever so they don't need replacing, whereas ISIS alledgedly always break.