Heatsink Konigs

PythonRider

Hey, just wondering if anyone else has experienced their red heatsink konig pads coming away from the backings? I run them on bmx, on a chrome rim, i know there was a problem with the Gens coming away from the backings, but I havnt heard of the konigs doing it?

I was told by steve that they had found an even better way of glueing the pads and had to wait longer for them than usuall.......

Cheers

Tom

Hi Tom!

Unfortunately the replacement Vee pads seem to be lost in the post (I should have notified you they were sent so that the alarm bells could have started ringing a couple of weeks earlier) but replacements are on their way to you now as discussed via PM :) Thanks for your paitience with this!

At the moment I'm making some improvements specifically to the Vees. All those who have experienced the same issue have been compensated by a straight swap for new pads with some free refills thrown in for the inconvenience :)

There have been no instances that I know of the white Vee pads (5mm thick and harder material) coming loose. By trying to explore improving these further (giving better value, going for theoretically better grip) this has put some more challenges down to the glueing, and if they can't be resolved then we can simply revert to the previous set-up.

The very generous pad thickness (8mm) has a couple of downsides for the Vee pads:

1. Slightly increased softness at the lever

2. Increased leverage trying to tear the pad from the backing

Also the red pads are slightly softer than the hand made white pads - softer means grippier, but also allows local deformation and so increased tearing, which glue isn't strong rather than shearing where it works well.

I've recently tried an array of improvements to the glueing, involving an number of glues, also high temperature curing in conjuction with various priming methods for the surfaces. I've been hoping that I can create a resilient enough bond so that a 8mm pad of the red pad softness can be run should required.

I've still got some in testing at the moment to see whether these glueing improvements are doing the job, and the back up is I'am presently working on a new mould tool dedicated to Vee pads so that a tailored slimmer geometry can be produced rather than having to grind back the 8mm maggie pads. Having lost half the skin on my hand last night on the belt sander, it will indeed be great to have pads ready to go at a height where the tearing forces are of a sufficiently lower magnitude.

For the magura versions, glueing is a much easier proposition. The materials involved, plastic backing to pad, are much friendly to getting a great bond. Presently the glueing of these is the best it's ever been. The most recent pads have the voids either side of the pad filled (to prevent moisture ingress), plus both the pad and backing have been painstakingly degreased, primed and then glued with the best performing glue.

If anyone else has experienced issues with their Vees coming loose, as always, you know that my renowned support is there to more than put it right :) Don't hesitate to get in contact.

Steve

Hey, just wondering if anyone else has experienced their red heatsink konig pads coming away from the backings? I run them on bmx, on a chrome rim, i know there was a problem with the Gens coming away from the backings, but I havnt heard of the konigs doing it?

I was told by steve that they had found an even better way of glueing the pads and had to wait longer for them than usuall.......

Cheers

Tom