Trials Unicycles?

ollie

you can get some trick unicycles with freewhels on, not sure what the point is.

you put a brake on with standard magura mounts, and the lever under the seat.

you can balance with no feet on the pedals and go along, so that might be what he is doing.

hope that helps (i have 7 unicycles!)

http://www.lemonzoo.com/funny_videos/481/a...tunts.html#mtop

well if you watch that near the end he just goes along without pedaling????

btw how do you put a brake on it?

thanks

ollie

You can buy a mount to go under the seat which clips on for the brake lever, then if your uni doesn't have brake mounts on the frame/forks then you have to buy them separate as well. But to be honest u don't need them, all you do is just keep your feet still and the wheel doesn't move.

My mate learn to unicycle in 20 minutes. Pissed all the other guys off who were trying for months to do it.

The majority of normal unicycles are fixed cog. Im guessing the trials one's still would be a fixed cog, otherwise there wouldn't be a brake (except an added one) as Wayn3 said, just stand still and dont pedal, then it wont move

My mate learn to unicycle in 20 minutes. Pissed all the other guys off who were trying for months to do it.

The majority of normal unicycles are fixed cog. Im guessing the trials one's still would be a fixed cog, otherwise there wouldn't be a brake (except an added one) as Wayn3 said, just stand still and dont pedal, then it wont move

I picked it up in a coupla days when I learnt, personally I can see a brake being very useful for trials because it takes legs of steel to stop yourself flipping out after a gap or an up!

Joe

Yeah, but do you hold your bike up on the pedals when you come short on a back wheel? No, you use your brake. I can see why unicycles might have brakes...

I picked it up in a coupla days when I learnt, personally I can see a brake being very useful for trials because it takes legs of steel to stop yourself flipping out after a gap or an up!

Joe

If you gap sideways then when you land the wheel doesn't move, but if you don't fell comfortable doing it this way gap forwards and lean as far as you can forwards, this will stop your from falling, and you also won't need to use as much leg power to stop it.

• 1 month later...

A brake on a trials uni is just extra weight, it serves no useful purpose. There's too much fine control to need it for even urban riding, since most hops & drops are done with a static wheel, and the cranks horizontal. You land exactly how you took off in the majority of cases, so the uni can never really get away from you (with enough practice, obviously).

Loose.

A brake on a trials uni is just extra weight, it serves no useful purpose.

what???

sorry dude buts thats crap, a brake on a uni seerves a hge purppose and takes a massive amount ofstrain off your legs, a brake i extremely useful and if your getting into trials uni or muni then a brake is definately going to be on your future upgrades list but don't worry about one uuntil you find yourself needing one...

what???

sorry dude buts thats crap, a brake on a uni seerves a hge purppose and takes a massive amount ofstrain off your legs, a brake i extremely useful and if your getting into trials uni or muni then a brake is definately going to be on your future upgrades list but don't worry about one uuntil you find yourself needing one...

A brake is not actually essential for any kind of unicycling. I personally have a brake on my 26" muni, for the reason you state, that it is good for taking strain from your legs on long downhills and for gaining control on technical rough ground. A 20" trials wouldn't ever be used (by someone using it for its intended purpose) in a situation that would need a brake. There are times when you might like to use one, but thats no substitute for good technique. A trials rider, riding trials, who needs a brake is just compensating for lack of skill.

The only 20" unicycle frames that are supplied with brake mounts are the new 2006 Torkers. The reason no other manufacturer (Nimbus, Onza, KH) supply 20's with brake mounts is because you don't need them. Prior to the 06 Torker the only 20" to which brakes could be fitted was a Summit Trials, on which manufacturing was halted 3 years ago.

Read my post before laying into me, I did specify trials.

Loose.

There are times when you might like to use one, but thats no substitute for good technique. A trials rider, riding trials, who needs a brake is just compensating for lack of skill.

Is that like the flatland "no brakes is more skilfull" thing? If it is I know where you're coming from.

wtf i msde this post aaagggeess ago!!!

just to let you know i mastered it in about 3 days and now im starting trials on it!

i can only do the simple stuff like hop on the spot hop up about a foot and ride around obiously (sp)?

if any one has any tips i would appreciate it or new tricks for me to learn and how to do them!

thanks

ollie

Edited by ollie

wtf i msde this post aaagggeess ago!!!

just to let you know i mastered it in about 3 days and now im starting trials on it!

i can only do the simple stuff like hop on the spot hop up about a foot and ride around obiously (sp)?

if any one has any tips i would appreciate it or new tricks for me to learn and how to do them!

thanks

ollie

If you want to start getting into trials, then you're looking at these basic skills:

• Drops, Static & Dynamic (Anything up to 10ft, my current max is 5ft Static)
  • Hops, Static & Rolling (Seat in up to 2ft, Seat out up to 3-4ft)
  • Sidehopping distance (allows you to gap from wall to wall, stuff like that)
  • Narrow object balance (balancing across thin objects like the backs of benches, rails)
  • Riding Stairs (its just like riding down a bumpy hill)
  • Riding along narrow objects like walls, rails etc... (This takes a while to learn, you need to work towards
  • thinner and thinner stuff)
  • Riding seat in front
  • Stillstanding
  • Hopping fakie (cranks reversed)
  • 180 Crankspin (allows you to flip from fakie to normal crank orientation on the spot)
  • Not a skill as such, but something called 'projection' which is a combination of a rolling hop and a long jump, it allows you to get distance from a drop (so dropping stairs for example)

The easiest way to learn is to get some pallets, stack them and hop on & off. Allows you to build up the height & improve your skills.

Loose.

hi

im not sure what you mean by Seat in up to 2ft, Seat out up to 3-4ft and Drops, Static & Dynamic

please help

ollie

Right, well there are 2 ways to hop on a unicycle, seat in (seat underneath your crotch, between your legs) and seat out (seat is held out in front of you). Seat in you can only expect to reach a couple of feet in hop height, but your landings are more controlled. Seat out you can reach anything up to 4ft+ and even more if you go to crank/pedalgrab, but you are off balance on landing an need to make correctional movements.

The difference between static & dynamic drops is fairly straightforward. In a static drop you start stationary, hopping on the spot. You then pick a point to land on, and jump for it, landing stationary as well. A dynamic drop is where you ride up to the edge & just drop off the edge without stopping to correct balance or choose a point to land on, and then 'roll out' where most of the force of the landing goes back into forward motion & the wheel doesn't really ever stop (you can have it stationary in mid air but it never stops while in contact with the ground).

I would do a dynamic drop on anything up to about 2-3ft. Anything above that & I need the improved balance of a static drop. If you need to choose a landing site carefully (like you're doing a 3ft drop to a 3 inch wide wall) then always do static, its safer.

EDIT: Basically what adamtrials said. I started to post before his appeared...

Loose.

Edited by Loosemoose`