Disk Brake Disks

steve bain

bit tough to explain, i have hope enduro 4's. basically which direction are the disks supposed to point? hope tech manual says one thing, the rest of the world says another. my mate has xt disks and they even have arrows on which say the opposite to hope. if someone could clarify i would be very happy. cheers steve

http://www.hopetech.com/technical/technical_index.htm

open the dh4 manual

then on page 7 theres a picture

(sorry didn't know how else to descibe it)

mmm. i can see it would make a differnce as in the photo you just showed it is definately structurally stronger. it just seems weird that hope themselves recommend doing it the other way round. i thought maybe it was to allow a bit of give or something?? mmm, maybe i'll just turn them round and be like everyone else. cheers, steve

Old hope brakes eg enduro 4's and c2's hope recomended the opposite to the picture shown above 'fins' at the top point to the back of the bike, but newer brakes (old mini, and all monos) should have there disks installed the other way with the 'fins' at the top of the wheel poinitng to the front of the bike.

I have a c2, enduro 4, and a mini, and have had an M4 and a mono mini so have seen all variation of the hope user manual over time!

Hope the clears things up. Enduro 4's with the lightning rotors are the best looking rotors ever! real shame hope stopped making them (someone cracked one at a lightning point).

It depends. Think about it- one way, with the force "pulling the wheel back" to stop it through the structure of the disk, reduces brake judder and is therefore smoother- some people prefer this way, and some disk companies advise this way.

However, the other way, with the brake "pushing" the wheel backwards to stop trough the structure of the disk, is more juddery, but perhaps could possibly be a tiny bit more effective in trials if you want a brake that purely locks with less modulation.

In the end it doesnt matter too much either way, its down to preference.