Single Speed Tensioner Bodge Ideas?

poopipe

My missus has very generously been given a bike (cheers julien :) ) and I need to bodge some sort of chain tensioner thingy for it.

It's got several cogs on the cranks and several cogs on the rear hub but none of the clicky switches or derailleurueurus (whatever they're called) that make the gears change

She'll be happy enough running single speed so I figure I'll just bodge a simple and cheap (preferably free & preferably sprung) tensioner to stop it changing gear on her while she's pedalling but also allow manual gear changing (ie. using your fingers to move the chain onto different cogs).

so, um, anyone got any ideas ?

i just split linked my old chain and stuck it round the gear that i liked on my big wheeled bike. Although i bought mine as a get around bike for £10.

EDIT: ignore me. You said she needed to change the gear to another cog...my way will not work

Edited by Barber

LBS , cheap mech for about 6 quid, assuming this bike has a bolt on rear wheel...

theres no silly QR stuff if that's what you mean, it's all very basic. I'll give that a pop unless someone comes up with something more amusing.

barber - the chain's already been split to the right sort of length but it has a tendency to pop between gears under load cos it's not 100%.