Stiff Gear

Sucram

That sounds like a brake is rubbing or your bearings are stiff, or the chain could be mega tight.

Do you mean that when you put pressure on the pedals the bike feels to react slowly?

Where abouts is the resistance coming from - front or back?

Check your brake pads aren't rubbing on the rims (What type of brakes are you using?) if thats not the problem then look at your chain tension.

If thats not a problem then it could be your wheel bearings, but it seems unlikely to me that it could be that since you'd probably feel the back end being really rough first.

Bob

Perhaps you should try removing your wheels and try spinning them whilst holding onto the axles and see how it feels, they should be nice and smooth with no or very little play. Do the cranks spin freely?

I would seriously consider disconnecting the brakes if you're running cables or pop them off if you're using HS33s to completely eliminate that. That has been a problem for me before.

Bob

A little bit of grit won't make noticable diference, i doubt you'd be able to get it out even if you tok the bb right out, they are generally quite well sealed and i think that most people just run them into the ground if you are using square taper what with them being only about a tenner.

I'm afraid I've offered as much advice as i can though really.

Bob

have you over tightened the cones ?

listen to him.

if they're not locked properly with the little locknuts they can tighten/loosen all by themselves as well so even if you haven't buggered about with them it could still be that