First Things To Learn

trials_noob

Well personally i think learning to backhop is good to start off with because i made the mistake of just trying to trials hop without back hopping and i've got to the stage where i would be going to gap or somthing but i can't keep my balance in the air and i just fall so i made a mistake there but thats my aim at the moment is to learn to backhop. (Y)

Sam.

Make sure you have track stand DIALED

then Hopping

then Rocking (Easy)

those 3 are the most common basics

all will help you connect with the bike

"be one with the tool" :P

Is that from The Art of Trials by Ryan Leech? I have the dvd!

Anyway thanks for the help. So once i get all those basics sorted you reckon the backhop is the best to start with. Also i have read about people learning balance with the front wheel on a bench, does this work? And what help does it give you?

I have been getting most guides from trashzen which is great. Its just some of the explanations aren't detailed enough.

Thanks

I don't know about this front wheel on a bench thing, I've never come across it.

I think something that helped me quite a bit was learning to pivot round on the front and back wheels with the brakes locked. If you can do both directions on both wheels then that will be a big help. (sorry if thats the same thing as rocking, I've never heard of rocking but it sounds a bit like it...)

Other than that, keep riding with other people and watching videos, and try out anything you think might be within your capabilties.

Frist things frist you control the bike it does'nt control you.

Trials hoping

Step1:You should just try seeign how many jumps on the back wheel you can do this will improve balence.

Step2: Now try this with both wheels on the floor kick on the pedals and pull the back brake.

Step3: Now bring them back and do this repeatedly

Step4: put these three steps together when on the back wheel.

Back wheeling

step1: Do at least half a pedal turn on you leading foot for most people there right foot.

step2: As you other foot is forward pull up on the handle bars as if youre doing a wheelie.

step3: Put pressure on the pedal of the leading foot and push bike forward as you land pull the back brake.

I would also advise going on websites where they show you video clips of how its done like TRASH ZEN.

Keep practicing these and you'll soon find the rest should be easy and follow on.

Edited by minicrack

Sorry i dont really know how else to explain it unless you say what exactly it is your unsure about.

Also i dont have any video clips to show you how it's done.

But im sure if your still unclear or a certain part of it you could ask someone else to Clarify things.

Darren

I agree that rocking and backhops are fundamental to learn early on, but in my opinion being able to ride up onto obstacles like benches and ledges etc is equally if not more important. Backhops need to be learnt in order to do more precision moves, and in many cases after you have managed to get onto the object. As a beginner you wont be using backhops to get onto objects plus after all that trackstanding doing even more "flat ground" practice will get a bit tedious!

If your set on learning backhops though, try doing a small endo in order to rock onto the back wheel. This means you can focus less on getting into the back hop position and more on what your meant to be doing when your up there. The movement of rocking from the endo onto the back wheel will initially make balancing easier aswell.

I can now get on the back wheel using the rocking method. :D But the thing i'm struggling with now is hopping on the back wheel. I get up then try a few hops and manage roughly two before falling back onto both wheels. Is there any tips for hopping on the back wheel? And i sometimes keep falling to one side and need to put a foot down.

Thanks

I'm now off to watch the Ryan Leech dvd to try and get some more tips.

the balancing with the front wheel up on a bench is good for improving balance. learning to get the wheel up onto higher benches and then getting down again(without taking feet off pedals) is also useful i found.

What is the best way to improve balance on the back wheel? Is the bench method good for that?

it'll give you an idea of the position you want to be in but not really.

to do more backhops...

keep your weight low and your body relaxed

when you get into the air, release the brake and level out your pedals - remember to pull the brake again before you land

compress to absorb the impact.

repeat ad infinitum.

- don't hop too quickly - it doesn't help.

it's easy to move onto to hopping forwards after this - you just need to drop the font slightly and give a little pedal kick before you leave the ground- otherwise the technique is the same.

yeah backhopping is probly the best to start with. the best thing you can do is keep trying everyday. use little pedal kicks and release the brake when you do so on most of the hops because it keeps the front wheel up in the air more easily. your weight needs to be further back than you'd expect so make sure your not leaning too far forward.