Saracen 2.six Bottom Bracket

taylor1991

Hi

I've just purchased a saracen 2.six but have heard that the bottom bracket that comes on the bike causes the problem of the chain rubbing against the frame and can rip a hole in the frame.

I was just wondering what i have to do to solve this problem i.e what sort of bottom bracket i need to buy and whats the best one for its value for money.

Thanks alot

Sam (Y):)

Hi Sam,

It would seem that there is a chain line problem, you could either get a wider or narrower bottom bracket or use single speed set up, this will let you move the rear sprocket to get a suitable chain line. but that would mean the end of gears if you have any :(. Maybe post a pic of where the chain is rubbing. (Y)

Hope this helps, Moza

The problem hasnt yet happened on my bike as i havent yet rode it but many people have said that it is likely to happen.

Most people have told me that i need to get a bottom bracket that allows the cranks to sit further away from the frame.

They've also told me to try and take some slack out of the chain to stop it falling off and locking between the

crank and the frame.

As i am a newbie to trials i dont really know alot about this problem but there have been many posts that state this problem happening too them.

Thanks for your help mate

Sam

By the sounds of it its chian suck, like you say getting a wider bottom bracket will help but it can still happen. I saw once a device witch stops chain suck but i cannot remember where :(, if you find out what bb is in your bike you could ask a local bike shop to put a wider one in. shimano or fsa are fairly good bottom brackets for the money.

Moza

hm, get a wider bottom bracket, shimanos are cheap and are amazing, most of my friends run them and none of us have had a problem yet. i also need to get a wider bottom bracket because its not wide enough, i have about 1mm at max chainring clearance on my echo control and as soon as the bearings start to go it will rub almost instantly. to be honest do what moza says and go single speed then you can adjust the chain to be inline with the chain ring then tension it so it wont fall off.

Edited by Broomer

Thanks for all your help mate. im not getting the bike until christmas but id rather prevent the problem before it starts to actually happen to my bike as ive heard that it can cut into your frame pretty quickly.

Ill go down to somewhere like halfords. they usually have quite a few bottom brackets when ive looked before.

Do you have a rough amount of how much the FSA bottom brackets cost as ive heard from others that there quite good.

Sam

Do you have a rough amount of how much the FSA bottom brackets cost as ive heard from others that there quite good.

Sam

i've had two fsa bottom brackets and i've snapped both of them, now i'm using a shimano something or other linkage

and i haven't had a problem since, fit it and ride it until the bearings go. you cant complain for £13.99

hm, get a wider bottom bracket, shimanos are cheap and are amazing, most of my friends run them and none of us have had a problem yet. i also need to get a wider bottom bracket because its not wide enough, i have about 1mm at max chainring clearance on my echo control and as soon as the bearings start to go it will rub almost instantly. to be honest do what moza says and go single speed then you can adjust the chain to be inline with the chain ring then tension it so it wont fall off.

I might think about changing to single speed but i would prefer to run gears as it just makes it easier to get to places but as people have said in posts before a trials bike is for riding trials so i probably will end up running a single speed. Ive seen a single speed conversion kit for about 20 quid so ill probably buy one of them.

When i had a look at how close the crank sits up against the frame it is worryingly close and i can see why this is a problem but i just cant understand why saracen arent solving this problem as so many people have had it happen to them. Is there a specific shimano bottom bracket i should buy or are they all reasonably good.

thanks

Sam

i've had two fsa bottom brackets and i've snapped both of them, now i'm using a shimano something or other linkage

and i haven't had a problem since, fit it and ride it until the bearings go. you cant complain for £13.99

Thanks for your suggestion mate.

In take it that shimano bottom brackets are good for there money as there only 15 quid and youve both said there good.

Sam

I run a un52 shimano in my bike and its about 1 1/2 years old, it cost me about £13. but it depends on the shell width(usually 68 or 72 mm) and the one you already have in your bike, you will probly want the next axel size up in the same shell size. but i have never broken a shimano bb so there is no worrys. i have ran single speed on every 26" i have had apart from my jump bike, and i have just recently made my own single speed tensioner.

moza

Hi

I've just purchased a saracen 2.six but have heard that the bottom bracket that comes on the bike causes the problem of the chain rubbing against the frame and can rip a hole in the frame.

I was just wondering what i have to do to solve this problem i.e what sort of bottom bracket i need to buy and whats the best one for its value for money.

Thanks alot

Sam (Y):)

i got a Saracen 2.six about 4months ago and i have had no problems.

I had a Saracen 2.six for a year with standard cranks and bb and there was no problem with the chain rubbing on the frame. But one of the first problems I had with my Saracen was when I pedalled hard the frame flexed making the brake touch the rim. I sorted this by bodging an echo 4 bolt booster on the brake, also my Saracen cracked on the right hand side right by the bb so keep your eye out for that.