New Bike Advice Needed

Rob_S

Hi, I'm new on here. I'm considering getting a trials bike, because at the moment i'm riding my mates Zoo Pitbull when i get a chance, and I'm finding it pretty good (Y)

I'm looking at selling my mountain bike, and getting the GU Typhoon 26", as long as i have the money. I was hoping someone who used to have or has got a GU would kindly tell me what they thought of it, good/bad etc. If i do get it I shall most likely get the 'factory' build off tarty bikes, although i might make a few minor changes.

Cheers, Rob

Edited by Rob_S

To be honest Rob the build on Tarty is really high spec and I couldn't see you needing to spend that much.

If you do want a GU at that spec you'd probably be better off looking at the for sale section of the forum as you would get a high spec bike for not even half of the price of the Tarty build.

As for how the bike rides, I'd expect the frame to be a bit awkward learning on, seeing as it has a really high bb rise, this would make it feel a bit twitchy and probably harder to learn on.

Edited by Grant H

As for how the bike rides, I'd expect the frame to be a bit awkward learning on, seeing as it has a really high bb rise, this would make it feel a bit twitchy and probably harder to learn on.

Just wondering, but have you actually ridden a GU Typhoon?

Plus, i'm already learning on Tris' bike, I can already Pedal hop, and roll along on the back wheel (Y)

By the time I actually get round to getting my bike i should be able to do the basics alright, as Tris needs to ride his King in on my bike, so he said I can use his then (Y)

Just wondering, but have you actually ridden a GU Typhoon?

Plus, i'm already learning on Tris' bike, I can already Pedal hop, and roll along on the back wheel (Y)

By the time I actually get round to getting my bike i should be able to do the basics alright, as Tris needs to ride his King in on my bike, so he said I can use his then (Y)

No I haven't,

Been told by people who have used/tried a high bb frames before and said it was twitchier.

Well done on the pedal hop though (Y)

Will be good to get another trials rider in Worcester :)

I can already Pedal hop, and roll along on the back wheel

and front to back and trackstand :P

Edited by Grant H

No I haven't,

Been told by people who have used/tried a high bb frames before and said it was twitchier.

Fair enough, well, hopefully I'll get some more feedback, see what they say (Y)

Well done on the pedal hop though (Y)

Cheers. It was suprisingly easy to be perfectly honest. I was just trying to bounce on the back wheel (which i can do irregularly), and Tris just said to try and kick the pedals and roll along, and i did that, and did it first time, that wasn't too hard, although it's hard to get it consistently; then he just said do that but try and hop and the same time, and I learnt

it within three or four goes, which both me and Tris were quite suprised about!

and front to back and trackstand :P

Haha, my signature move - the trackstand.

Yeah, so I'm getting there, just need to keep on working on it. I'll find out how much money I'll need to get from my mountain bike on thursday when I sell my guitar, so then I'll have some figures to work with!

(Y)

People are far too paranoid about the exact geo of their bikes, twitchyness seems like a bag of wank to me surley if it was slightly more complicated to control it would give better overall bike control in the end? Any bike can be ridden to a decent standard and if damon and the like can do that stuff on a GU theres no problem at all.

Go for it rob, grant has'nt ridden one, as everyone is a different height, size, build ect. no one can say this for sure anyway.

I bet It'd feel a damn sight nicer than a t-rex.

Edited by afroman

to be fair im quite drunk but twitchyness is bullshitty, people are getting too paraniod about such thinga and thus complain bout them, 20mm higerr rise whaever isnt gonna make ou gap lees further whatever. its fine.

It doesn't affect your gapping, just that its alot more responsive and therefore twitchier.

It doesn't affect your gapping, just that its alot more responsive and therefore twitchier.

Cool, thanks for that, thats made my decision a bit easier!

As long as I can get the money for it that is.

i have the mod typhoon, its nice but 60 + bb makes it a pain to control if you just come off some thing small (in my case a t-poo)

Oh right, fair enough. Well I usually ride a 16.5" Trek Bruiser 3 (mountain bike) which isn't particularly small, and I ride my friends Zoo Pitbull (long) pretty regularly, so it should be fine.

Cheers for the advice (Y)

Rob

possibly, you have the worst name here. congratulations. :)

:lol:

And you also talk mostly utter shite in nearly all your posts, for example:

Mad bikes i rode one once before liked it very much

He is looking at a GU Typhoon, about £1300. He has ridden a decent bike and therefore a MAD is out of the picture.