Pushing shocks!

forteh

Having put the 44 rc3ti on the intense it's made me realise just how poor in comparison the rear suspension feels, almost as if it's overdamped for my (whippet) weight and just a bit dull and slow to respond to impacts. I don't know what the shock compression tune is set to or even if it's suitable for my setup.

It's a fox rp23 that came with the frame second hand back in march 2013, it was advertised as being recently serviced by mojo and a new shock body fitted but not other details. Phoned up mojo and they were able to trace the shock from the number stamped onto the shaft near the bottom eyelet and confirmed that it was last serviced in 2012 when it had a complete refresh with a new shock body and air sleeve so at least I have some history of it!

Whilst checking pivot bearings last night I let the shock down to cycle full travel and noticed that it was only getting 43mm stroke (it's supposed to be a 190x50) and the frame wasn't bottoming out anywhere which is a bit odd to say the least.

Spoke to TF tuned about the lack of travel and they were baffled, the only conclusion was that someone might have put a spacer inside the aircan to stop it achieving full travel - possibly for a 650B conversion on a 25" frame. With regards to the dull feeling apparently it's typical of the rp23 in standard tune. Either way the shock is probably due a good service now so I'm considering getting it fully serviced and pushed with the custom piston and shim tune to suit my weight and frame.

Has anyone used a pushed shock before and willing to share any insight or info? Is it likely to be worth the 150 quid? :)