Chris King.... Again

ilikeriding

Hello, my chris king has been steadily skipping since I got it. more and more. Its been cleaned out with gt85 as recommended so it can move more freely for trials use. When it skipps it makes similar noises as to when it is freewheeling. The possibility is that the force I use to pedalhop and such, causes the back wheel to spin, hence the teeth not gripping the frame properly. I noticed some faily deep marks in the space the teeth grip to my droupouts. As tarty is closed I cant send it to them and even so the whole bike would need to go, to find out whether this is the problem, which it may not be as the noises it makes when it skipps dont so much sound like the wheel slipping in the frame. If it is how would i solve it?

Oddly enough, thats what Evolution Imports told me happened to Kings, and that they didn't actually skip.

Needless to say i now have a Hope and have had zero problems with it...

Anyways, if that is indeed the problem, a HD axle and Fun Bolts should solve it.

Make sure you lightly grease the helical splines.

Oddly enough, thats what Evolution Imports told me happened to Kings, and that they didn't actually skip.

Needless to say i now have a Hope and have had zero problems with it...

Anyways, if that is indeed the problem, a HD axle and Fun Bolts should solve it.

Make sure you lightly grease the helical splines.

Oops I forgot to mention I do have a hd axle and funbolts

and personally i think they do skip as it became so much worse once I practiced gapping fo a while.

Edited by afroman

the marks in the dropouts are from the hub gripping the alu.

with fun bolts it cant really slip either, as you are using torque from your arms to tighten an allen key as with a Q/R sometimes they do "slip" or move in the dropouts but iv never had a HD axle or a hope hub (same fitting pretty much) do that. (try cleaning it again, use a tooth brush on the "freehub body" where it slips into the hub) the "nerled" edgy bit. if it still dont work try plan B ;)

If its slipping its slipping and it will just keep haunting you. hence why i use hope just as N.Wood does, iv been there and done that with chris king's and to be honest i lost alot of confidence. didnt take long to get it back with a hub that doesnt slip (Y):)

Waynio.........................

Well I spose it looks like ill have to wait till tartys open again:(, I phoned one of chris kings mechanics and he said it was impossible for it to skip and its been thorughly cleaned thrice. f**k this shit hope pro 2 ***, didnt get one in the first place because one that I borrowed snapped.

Edited by afroman

I may have read your post wrong and to be honest cant be bothered to read it again, BUt did you say you lube your king with wd40 or GT85 or equivalent. If so thats could be yur problem, that stuffs well too thin.

Finishline chainlube will do the job (apparently, I havn't tried it myself though) I think Tarty use finishline when they do there service.

I may have read your post wrong and to be honest cant be bothered to read it again, BUt did you say you lube your king with wd40 or GT85 or equivalent. If so thats could be yur problem, that stuffs well too thin.

Finishline chainlube will do the job (apparently, I havn't tried it myself though) I think Tarty use finishline when they do there service.

Ahh right, but my mate whos been running them for years uses GT85 and has never had any problems, as I said the mechanism needs to move more freely for trials

Edited by afroman

GT85 degreases the drive rings, thus shortening life span, they wear out quicker and are more dangerous when they do go. Personal experience, with little lube in I kept going face first at stuff, no using some wierd thin grease type stuff I found in a randomly in my garage it owrks like a charm.

Edit: Most of the time

Edited by ReverendJQ

GT85 degreases the drive rings, thus shortening life span, they wear out quicker and are more dangerous when they do go. Personal experience, with little lube in I kept going face first at stuff, no using some wierd thin grease type stuff I found in a randomly in my garage it owrks like a charm.

Edit: Most of the time

Ill give it a go, although the "most of the time" bit scares me

Edited by afroman

Hello, my chris king has been steadily skipping since I got it. more and more.

i've been having the same god dam probelm!!

i have a HD axel which has just been fitted and the whole hub had been cleaned and relube by tarty. and it still skips a little sometimes not enough to f**k me over but i don't want it to get worse. any other ideas? suggest cleaning and relubing?? but surely tarty no what they doing :S

i have a HD axel which has just been fitted and the whole hub had been cleaned and relube by tarty. and it still skips a little sometimes not enough to f**k me over but i don't want it to get worse. any other ideas? suggest cleaning and relubing?? but surely tarty no what they doing :S

Clean it out with the ol' WD40 then use a *little* lube on the driveshell splines, and the same for the drive/driven rings. Hopefully it will be a little better with less lube in it. If it's a new hub you could try sticking it on a run around bike, if you've got one, for a few good miles to bed it in a little.

Feel sorry for you guys having problems, got my King second hand just over a year ago and I've not had any major problems. Just very minor skipping when I've neglected servicing it.

I assume mine must have been properly bedded in, maybe that's the problem for you guys? You've not let the ringdrive wear in together so it's not working properly...

There is some extra notches on the splines on the driveshell on mine, you might wanna check yours.

There is some extra notches on the splines on the driveshell on mine, you might wanna check yours.

Er, if there are extra notches in it, then I don't see how it would even fit in to the hub. Because the notches slide through the drive ring's splines. If there were extra ones they'd get in the way and stop it going in :S

Could you post a picture of what you mean?

IMG_0011.jpg

I reaslise its not quite clean this picture, it has been and thats not the problem, the notches are on the right of the driveshell on each spline.

That's one dirty driveshell :lol:

Hmm I still don't get how that can be the possible, those notches fit into the drive ring's notches. You should be able to see what I mean from this picture:

large_kingdrivering.jpg

Or maybe we're still talking about different things. haha

That's one dirty driveshell :lol:

Hmm I still don't get how that can be the possible, those notches fit into the drive ring's notches. You should be able to see what I mean from this picture:

Or maybe we're still talking about different things. haha

you see the little black marks around the left side of the notches, they are the extra notches.

Edited by afroman

you see the little black marks around the left side of the notches, they are the extra notches.

Oh right, they're DEFINITELY not supposed to be there...

New driveshell time. If you've bought it new you could just send it to a King dealer and try to get it sorted on warranty. Alot of hassle I guess, but if you want a King that performs as it SHOULD then it's the only option. And when you get it back, BED IT IN. Don't just go out and muller it. Some people get away with it but they DO have a bedding in period.

Oh right, they're DEFINITELY not supposed to be there...

New driveshell time. If you've bought it new you could just send it to a King dealer and try to get it sorted on warranty. Alot of hassle I guess, but if you want a King that performs as it SHOULD then it's the only option. And when you get it back, BED IT IN. Don't just go out and muller it. Some people get away with it but they DO have a bedding in period.

okay mate, cheers for that, I already spoke to bromley bikes who are dealers and they said I'd have to get it sorted by tarty, know any others that aren't in america and less useless?

Edited by afroman

Clean it out with the ol' WD40 then use a *little* lube on the driveshell splines, and the same for the drive/driven rings. Hopefully it will be a little better with less lube in it. If it's a new hub you could try sticking it on a run around bike, if you've got one, for a few good miles to bed it in a little.

Argh just tried to take a apart me hub to clean and relube, i haven't got an alley key to fit the Hd lock ring !!!

dam americans :P what size is it, i've got about 3-4 dam close fits, they must use really obsecure sizes, crazy

cheers harry

The Pro2 you broke was probably mine, in which case it was already half broken before it became a hand me down. (black hub on yellow trry all rim?)

that hub was my first pro2 hub as it had a diff freehub body, not the new "steel" body shell, so please dont critisize the Pro2T just because you broke one that was 9/10 month old when i had it, then Porter had it (prob a few month), then Fatmike (a month or 2), then you????? (if it is that wheel :P;) ) but it does sound like that wheel?

That hub/wheel was a real tart!!!!! had been there and done every body :P

Waynio.....................

The Pro2 you broke was probably mine, in which case it was already half broken before it became a hand me down. (black hub on yellow trry all rim?)

that hub was my first pro2 hub as it had a diff freehub body, not the new "steel" body shell, so please dont critisize the Pro2T just because you broke one that was 9/10 month old when i had it, then Porter had it (prob a few month), then Fatmike (a month or 2), then you????? (if it is that wheel :P;) ) but it does sound like that wheel?

That hub/wheel was a real tart!!!!! had been there and done every body :P

Waynio.....................

Haha, yeah t'was wayne. Proper villiage wheel. ;)

LOL the wheel did look fairly battered

Just spoke to evolution as I sent them my wheel, they said my hub was worn out and I'd have to pay for it, I'VE USED IT FOR 2 MONTHS!, and it was skipping from the start even though it was bedded in. FFS. There is a 5 year warranty on it and I was useing a steel drive shell (suitable for trials).

Are they allowed to get away with this???

Edited by afroman