Need New Vee Brake Pads

gazf

You guys will think I'm a right dumb noob, but what do the backings actually do? How do they make them better pads?

One of the problems with standard pad backings is that they bend and flex under brake loads. This means that while holding the wheel locked the pad can roll off the rim slightly and make less contact leading to sliding when you need hold the most. The CNC backings are a lot stiffer than standard pads. You probably won't get the full benefit of the pad material without a stiffer backing anyway.

They'll have standard pads, but unless there are loads of trials riders in your area already, they're very unlikely to have anything trials specific. If you need brake pads immediately get some standard ones and stick them in to tide you over... At least V Brakes will give reasonable hold on standard pads - when you try a trials specific setup you won't believe how much more more hold is possible though.

One of the problems with standard pad backings is that they bend and flex under brake loads. This means that while holding the wheel locked the pad can roll off the rim slightly and make less contact leading to sliding when you need hold the most. The CNC backings are a lot stiffer than standard pads. You probably won't get the full benefit of the pad material without a stiffer backing anyway.

I see. I've only got standard pads at the minute, Ashima Clear Trials ones. They don't have any backing at all. To be fair my brakes are working really good but I'm gonna try some of these CNC backed ones.

Since I've started Trials, I've become obsessed with brakes!

Been to the shop today and found out that they only had big cheap looking fat ones that will fit my vees as the ones im running only us a small grove like post on the back of the pads to tighten on to the vees.

So im going to look around in my shed because i think i may had an other set somewhere that use the correct fitting

Are you describing post mount style pads? All V Brake pads for current designs (AFAIK) use a threaded post and spherical washers to mount to the brake arms. Do the pads you're looking for have a cylindrical post sticking out the back of them that isn't threaded? If so I'd recommend upgrading the brake arms as finding anything decent to fit the ones you have will be difficult.

Are you describing post mount style pads? All V Brake pads for current designs (AFAIK) use a threaded post and spherical washers to mount to the brake arms. Do the pads you're looking for have a cylindrical post sticking out the back of them that isn't threaded? If so I'd recommend upgrading the brake arms as finding anything decent to fit the ones you have will be difficult.

Those are the ones yes, all being well i should be getting some hs33s soon anyway so im just looking to just so pads for a quick fix until i can upgrade

Edited by gazf

I run a HS33 on the back with yellow heatsinks on a worn in but fairly harsh grind and they're unbelieveable. I've a Magura Louise with 185mm Avid disk on the front and that's amazing too, but hasn't the lock and hold the rear brake has.

Here are some cheap pads to tide you over:

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_inf...?products_id=95

Though you might want to check they're right before buying as the picture looks like what you need, but the text on the page says they're for road bikes rather than for cantilever brakes.