Diy Tensioner

zoster

Hi!

i recently went sigle speed (and it feels great, although i was quite reluctant about it), and i didn't want to pay as much as a derailleur for a shitty tensioner, so i struggled to come up with an idea to make my own, so here it is..

i used:

- a disc brake adapter (rear 160 avid bb7)

- a metal plate from a cheap multi-allen-key-tool (or whatever you call one of these: http://www.bikexpert.ro/catalog/images/842.jpg ) (yes, i drilled a small hole in the frame

post-13202-1226172738_thumb.jpg

- shitmano jockey wheel

- part of a hs33 braze-on mount

post-13202-1226172529_thumb.jpg

- spacer made of the lower part of a a v-brake mount (to center the bolt in the hanger hole. threads are stripped, since the pace of the vee mount and derailleur bolt are different)

post-13202-1226173895_thumb.jpg

ta-dah:

post-13202-1226173155_thumb.jpg

post-13202-1226173762_thumb.jpg

post-13202-1226173923_thumb.jpg

full bike pics: http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....howtopic=127833

Edited by zoster

looks very swish mate...top job (Y)

thanks mate!

Can you not set it up so the chain sits on top of the jockey wheel? Would mean the chain is wrapped around the cog more giving it less chance of skipping.

Good idea though! If not a bit bodge-tastic.. :P

no, i can't... tried it, but the chain is too slack for that setup, and if i take a link out it becomes too short

Is that fixed in the same position all the time? And you need to unbolt it to remove the wheel? Looks over complicated and vulnerable to me but good idea.

yep, same position (i fine tune it with washers between the adapter and the braze-on piece, since it was too complicated to make an elongated hole in the metal plate that bolts to the frame).

i have to take out at least one bolt to take the wheel out, but i repair my flats with the wheel on, so it's not really an issue

Edited by zoster

Can you not set it up so the chain sits on top of the jockey wheel? Would mean the chain is wrapped around the cog more giving it less chance of skipping.

Good idea though! If not a bit bodge-tastic.. :P

???? Cant really talk can you Dan. Remember the cable-tie single speed spacer? :lol:

• 3 weeks later...