Stretched Maxxis Beads

N.Wood

So there i am in my garage and i'm pumping my tyre up (slow puncture) and it keeps popping off the rim. So i'm like 'oh em gees' and kick some stuff.

Decided its:

1. Flat-motherf**king-spotted rim

2. f**ked choob

3. f**ked tyre.

Today i pulled it all, put new tube on and put new tyre on.

Works fine.

I'm deducing its the tyre (which is a dual ply Maxxis Minion 2.5 ST).

The tyres only about 3 months old and has plenty of tread left. It is relitively buggered in that there are various small cuts on the wall and the carcass is showing through the rubbre on the sidewall in places from missed taps to 90 and sidehops etc, but nothing worse than i've seen on other peoples whips.

Anyone else had any experiences of this?

Funny enough this happened to me on sunday at the brimham trial.

I have had loads of tyres that have been put through some abuse, so that the threads etc are all coming away at the side and using them until there is no tread left at all. I normally just use these tyres for street as i dont need the grip and find they they are spot on until i really really need a new one.

I have two sets of wheels, street and comp, and i always have near enough a brand new tyre on my comp wheel. I had one on the other day that was maybe 3-4 comps old and that day it started popping off:S Did not have a clue what was going on, but i got half way round a section and the thing popped off so i kept on riding to get through the section and found at the end that the tyre had ripped from the pistons hitting at and all of the beads came out.

Still after that had know idea what had happened but i guess what your saying makes alot of sence. Maybe one beads had just stretched or one even snapped.

Anyway, resulted in a new tyre. Nothing i could do about it. Kind of a pointless story but though i would share my dissapointment :P

Brett

Ah the ole tyre bead popping out problem.

When this usually happens, i usually locate where its popped out, let the tyre down and PULL the opposite end of where the tyre has popped out to pull the bead into the rim more closer. i dont know if that makes sense but give it ago. it works for me

JK

My mate get's this all the time with his various Creepy Crawlers, it's quite possible that your beadings stretched. Although my mate's usually comes off where he has a dent in the rim, guess it's quite easy for it to fold over at that point.

I have a maxxis tyre that does this. Has an annoyingly decent amount of life left in it still though :ermm:

It IS the beading thats stretched. You'll find no matter which way round you put it on or how you pull on it to try and level it all out it'll still pop off.

Unfortunately its either a case of finding a rim with a bigger diameter or getting a new tyre.