Is There Anyway To Send Files From My Pc To The Other

Barbra

Basically i have my computer which has the main internet plugged into it, then a router which splits the internet with the other. Is there anyway i can use this connection to send stuff from my computer to the other?

I need to burn stuff to disc but the dvd/rw is in the other computer. Any help appreciated :)

x

Yes thats what i mean, just had a quick scan through that. And i think i've done it but i'm too tired to wait for my computer to restart for the changes to take an effect...so i'll let you know tomorrow (Y)

x

If you've got loads of files, then just set up a network and leave it copying for a few hours. It takes a long time though.

If you've got a big memory stick (1-2Gb) then using that will be a lot quicker but a lot more faff. Or use an external hard drive.

If you know what you're doing with computers and you've got a huge amount to copy, the fastest way is by putting the old hard drive in the new PC.

Its not a case of taking a file from an old computer and putting it on a new one. One pc is mine and the other is the parents. My dad won't let me steal his dvd/rw drive, so i've got to find some way of sending the files though the router and shiz to their computer, which is usually used to share internet.. No luck yet. Anyone got a clue?

Edited by Barber

So...

You've got the computer, that has the internet, then you have a router (which is conected to theirs) which is conected to your computer?

Edited by JT!

We had that same setup.

The only way we could send files to eachother was via msn (the files went at network speeds over msn, ie. 4mb took 1 second). Which was weird becuase it never worked through the network - ever.

What we had to do to use the network was use the routers actual ethernet ports. Our router had an internet port which my bro's computer was attacted to, which let me have the net, but when we pulled that out and plugged it into one of the ethernet ports the network worked, and we could send files, but we couldn't use the internet.

Give that a try. (Y)

Alternatly, you could set up your router like it's suposed to be set up, having the internet stright into the router, then onto the two computers.

If thats all set up then all you gotta do is click a couple buttons!

Right click on the folder which holds the files you want to put on dvd. Go on your folks pc and go on 'my network places', hopefully your computer should be there, and within that option you can access the folder you shared.

If that doesnt work, find out your computer name by going on control panel>system>computer name.

Should look a bit like this:

Full Computer Name: #name#

workgroup: WORKGROUP (make sure this name is the same on both comps, usually makes it easier)

Now you know your comp name go on your folks comp and open windows explorer.

On the address bar type '\\#name#' then press enter

(Ignore the '', and replace #name# with your comps name)

Sorry if thats confusing, im not great at explaining stuff!

Charlie

Edited by strelly

I tried that..my computers name is Nathans. But the other computer doesn't want to find it :S.

I've enabled the 'use simple file sharing' option on both computers (though i don't know if that'll make a difference)

I may just do it through msn overnight or something...seems the simplest way. Even though it'd take forever.

I don't mess about with hardware stuff lol! Something always breaks if i do. And with our internets track record once i plug it back in the right place so i can go on't internet it wouldn't work..I'm only a software kinda' guy lol!

I'll get my dad try later though JT! (Y)

Just have a look at the back of the router and see which cables from what computers are plugged into what ports.

My guess would be one's plugged onto an 'internet' port, and then all you have to do it pull that out and stick it in an ethernet port and it'll work.

Will check it out now...if i don't reply soon its either working or once i plugged it back into the internet port the internet won't come on lol!

EDIT: I have some form of old school router, theres only bloody internet ports on.

Edited by Barber

They all look identical to each other (theres 5) and none of them are labelled as any specific port...its weird.
I don't believe you. One will be spaced differently or something. Either way, the WAN (internet) port will be either the right hand one or the left hand one (probably the left).
They all look identical to each other (theres 5) and none of them are labelled as any specific port...its weird.
I don't believe you. One will be spaced differently or something. Either way, the WAN (internet) port will be either the right hand one or the left hand one (probably the left).