What First Trial Bike For Me?

dinobike

Hi

i am just starting trials, and i am after a bike. i am currently trying on a 26" mtb but not having much luck balancing and things. Should i go for a stock or mod bike. Hopefully i am after one which is a good stater bike but then also one i won't have to upgrade or buy a new one as i get better. I am looking to buy second hand, is there anything imparticular to look out for when doing this. I am also guessing i will either need a disc brake or hydrualic rim brake.

please let me know which bike you would reccomend.

many thanks

DINO

Hi

i am just starting trials, and i am after a bike. i am currently trying on a 26" mtb but not having much luck balancing and things. Should i go for a stock or mod bike. Hopefully i am after one which is a good stater bike but then also one i won't have to upgrade or buy a new one as i get better. I am looking to buy second hand, is there anything imparticular to look out for when doing this. I am also guessing i will either need a disc brake or hydrualic rim brake.

many thanks

DINO

HI

Welcome to trials!

well a stock bike is 26", but that shouldnt matter about your balance, you just have to keep practising that

personally i prefer stock as it looks better when you get good, im still working on that lol

but mods are easier to throw about and generally lighter so if your a smaller person would be alot easier than a stock, im 6ft 4 so stocks works great for me

if your buying second hand look ouyt for cracks and harsh dents in the frame as it will shorten the life dramatically

and look for harsh wear

alot of trials riders have a disc at the front and a hydraulic rim at the back this is so theres more modulation (variation i guess) on the front which would help with front wheel tricks

also i couldnt really recomend a bike as i dont know what you would prefer i.e. mod or stock

anyway mate good luck with your new adventure!

Hello, welcome to the world of trials. :D

100% of the older members would have started on a standard mtb simliar to yours no doubt. Brakes that don't work, tyres that don't grip and generally weigh a metric tonne.

As for a starter bike yeah second hand will be the way forward. The things to watch out for are basic. If the bike works and is of a good price then it's worth the go. You should only really avoid the ones that are over priced or absolutely hanging and about to fall apart.

As for brakes, all brakes work after being setup correctly. Vee brakes aren't that popular but even so they are believed to be alot better in most cases. I'm am also a fan of vee brakes. Magura for the rear and disc for the front is the most popular setup.

Any more questions the fire away.

Edited by eskimo

It should be easier for you to start off on a mod, but it depends. A really decent starter bike is an onza t-pro. It's £400 new but you could get a decent second hand one for not that much. They are also strong and aren't just beginner bikes! They come with V brakes so I would suggest putting some maguras on.

Hi thanks

i am currently 5 8" but will probably stop at 5 11", so which do you think will be best. If you could reccomend me both so mods and stock that would be great.

many thanks

DINO

Your size shouldn't make a difference to how you ride a bike too much. It is a great big myth. However if you are really small you might have some difficulty bring up the front wheel on a super long stock. Yet even though you are small you still have the advantage of a long wheel base. I hope you understand that example.

So you are looking for a second hand bike then?

If you choose some and get a few people to look at them then they/we can point out any bad areas or whatever.

As for new we have:

Onza (mod)

For £150 more you can get the slight upgrade of tyres and brakes i think it is.

The stocks don't seem too good on Tarty to be honest so i won't recommend anything.

I suggest you quickly edit your post. Alot of people don't look to highly upon no-members making 'wtd'/wanted posts. It is in the rules/guidelines so be aware. Your proberly notice alot of this going on anyway. So head on over to ebay or the for sale section (shhhh) and come back with a price and spec and someone can help you out.

HI SORRY EVERYONE, THERE WAS A MISTAKE. I DID NOT MEAN I WAS WANTING ONE JUST A TYPE OF PRICE I SHOULD BE LOOKING AT, IT WAS MEANT TO BE NOTHING TO DO WITH WTD CLASSIFIEDS

VERY VERY VERY VERY SORRY MODERATORS, i DID NOT MEAN TO DO IT

HOPEYOU CAN ALL FORGIVE ME

MANY THANKS

DINO

hi

sorry guys, all to much. I am hoping for something less than £150, ANYWAY THIS IS NOT IN THIS SECTION!!!!!!!

Don't worry it's their fault for tempting you. It the validation thing which occurs the problem for this stuff.

Anyhow if you do get anything show up on ebay or elsewhere then let us know.

Hi

many thanks

DINO

well it depends how tall you are with the mod and stock things well i ride stock and im about 5 ft 10 and i feel safe on stock and the the hydraulic brake part no way you can have v brake but you just have to set them up right ben travis has front and rear v brake so it depends.

Hi thanks

i am currently 5 8" but will probably stop at 5 11", so which do you think will be best. If you could reccomend me both so mods and stock that would be great.

many thanks

DINO

I'd get a Mod if I were you. Which one depends on your budget.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Well first of all if your 5ft8 i would say a mod so for a beginner i would say a t bird or a t pro!

These two bikes are very good for beginners as i had a very good experience on my t bird!

But now i have moved onto a KO km1!

If you have about 370 to spend i would definitely say the t-pro!

Has all the parts you need! and has a very good geometry!

Hope this will help you!

Woody!

• 4 weeks later...