You Cant Shake Off Old Habbits

CRAZY EYES ASH

Hello there.

First post so hello to everyone............yes im a newbie. Ive only just stubbled back accross trials as i used to ride about 7 years ago.

A few weeks ago i looked up trials in youtube and found a load of videos which just brought the memories back. So from there decided it was time i got back into the grind. Im slowly building a bike and when i was ordering some bits from tartybikes, the guy there told me about this forum quoting it as the best place to get info and chat on all things trials.

So here i am. And here lies my first question. Why do lots of riders have magura rim brakes on the rear and disc on the front?

Cheers. Ash

hello welcome to the forum =]

the answer to your question ---> some riders like to have the modulation on the front, with the hold. but some prefer the lock and hold- no modulation. its personal preference to be honest. vee's are excellent on the front also, they have both properties of the magura and the disk. i have a disk on the front, as i dont personally get on with a magura on the front,- like to slow down quietly and not make everyone look at me and think n0b.

hope i answered your question, i may be wrong but someone will correct me if i am,

Drew

So here i am. And here lies my first question. Why do lots of riders have magura rim brakes on the rear and disc on the front?

Cheers. Ash

Because they are the best!

The Magura HS33 (what used to be the RaceLine) is so popular because it is hydraulic, powerfull, has good feel to it, you can set the pads 1mm from the rim and adjust with the TPA as needed, there are many different compounds of pad available, they are reliable, the lever is comfortable (for most anyway), it's the next best thing to a disc brake. Im sure Im missing some more!

Front disc brake is smoother, doesnt matter if you bend your rim, its up out of the gloop, you have a bigger braking area, most use hydraulic for the power and feel, many use the Avid BB7 which is mechanical (cable operated) and about the best mechanical disc brake out there. Again Im sure there's more!

Also, there is now an Echo Hydraulic rim brake, its not a million miles away from the Magura either!

Basically.... To add to all the above reasons....

Disks need no setting up or sorting out at all, they usually work straight out the box no hastle, a 1 off investment and they usually dont break unless you hit then too hard! They offer awsome modulation or power depending what disk and rotar you chose, dont often get hit being on the front.... and most importantly for me, its silent!

People genrally use maggies on the rear (although disks are becombing more popular particually on more "comp" set ups like monty bikes) But i chose a maggie on the rear as... when sidehopping you dont have to worry about bashing your rotar or caliper. The maggie can take massive hits when you bail and not break, much more pad selection and you can chose the grip and hold on what pads you pick, there a lot cheaper, easy to bleed to suit your personal preference of lever feel e.t.c.

But Disk Front and Maggie rear is my choice....

Maher uses front Vee Rear maggie

Porter uses double maggie

Birdman uses double disk....

Totally personal preference now! vees, maggies and disks are so good nowadays that they'll all hold you fine for trials, just depends what you want to pick! dont think ill ever use anything but maggie rear and disk front. (well echo rim brake, but basically is an expensive maggie lol)

Welcome to the forum mate enjoy yourself but still follow the rules, Most frames do not have rear disc mounts and IMO rear disc will get in the way a bit and keep catching your rotor when side hopping and other moves like that maybe you might need a new rotor nearly every time you hit it or you can just leave it battered, i think your front is harder to hit i have never hit my front rotor and if i had rear disc it would be battered it is just IMO but it does not need as much setting up as a magura its your choice if you like sorting brakes out :lol: get a magie, if you dont like sorting brakes out and you still want your brakes to be good get a disc its your choice all the way, and i love my front hope mono trial disc with my rear magura.