Any Firemen Or Police Men

Abdab

I'm about to go into the Metropolitan Police as a PCSO and from there hopefully into the Police or even better the London Fire Brigade. Add me if you like? I know quite a fair bit... Feeder_Fan@hotmail.com

Nice one. Cheers! Accepted you laddo :)

Anymore???

I keep thinking about joining the fire service, looks interesting. Although i'm not really sure if im strong enough. I just really want a career change (without having to go back to college/uni).

Is it quite hard to get into?

In answer to your question... Yes! Its all political correctness now...

I recommend checking out this website... UK Fire Service Resources

It's an excellent website to gather all the information you need.

I know a fair bit as I've looked into it a lot and a family friend is a Fire Fighter in the London Fire Brigade... In answer to you strength worries... You do need to be both mentally and physically fit... You're gonna see a lot of horrendous things which will probably stay with you for the rest of your life so you've got to ask yourself if you're willing to put yourself through that... The physical side of things you do need to be quite strong... Above average as you'll be lugging around Breathing Apparatus and emergency equipment such as generators, the 135m ladders (Depending on if you're on the pump ladder, but even so you'll no doubt be trained in using all the ladders thus making sure you can carry them and mount them back onto the appliance. I happen to know that the new LFB Mercedes Atego Pump Ladders have a button at the back of the appliance which will lower the ladder slightly making it easier for a female Fire Fighter to unload the ladders and equipment mounted on the roof...).

If you've any questions maybe you could add me on msn (My addy is in my first reply). Would love to talk more about it and answer any questions you may have.

So yeah give the site a check over and see what you think... Pretty sure they have tips and advice on getting fit and stuff. (Y)

Regards

Eric

I'm going to apply for the police when i am 18 for sure. :)

Good luck is all I can say. I applied for PCSO at the start of February and I'll doubt I'll actually start training till next February! Its a long process and drags on forever but its worth giving a go. Any info needed just ask and I'll see if I can help out (Y)

Good luck is all I can say. I applied for PCSO at the start of February and I'll doubt I'll actually start training till next February! Its a long process and drags on forever but its worth giving a go. Any info needed just ask and I'll see if I can help out (Y)

I actually have already applied for the police cadets but did'nt get in. :(

Yer Ive been on that site alot. Read up and researched it loads.

Fire service demands alot. Like college boy said mentally your going to be seeing some bad stuff, physically you got to be very fit. Ive read up on physical test recruitments and fire service requires 12 minute run and they see how far you get, if you achive 2,700m in 12 mins thats an excellent mark. Then theres 35m sprint, acheive lower than 4.8 seconds here and thats excellent too.

Really looking forward to applying.

Im currently doing a public service course at college. Im going to apply when im 18 then by the time the course is over hopefully my application will have gone threw and i can go for my tests! Was thinking about doing my 2 year college course which gives me 3 A levels and then going to Uni to study public services more which means when i do get accepted for fire service, ill be on a higher pay role. But think this is not so much firefighting, first 2 years is and then with my qualifications ill become crew manager!

If anyone applys, use your best handwriting haha! It says on the site if the writing looks scruffy then they wont bother looking at it :o

Yer Ive been on that site alot. Read up and researched it loads.

Fire service demands alot. Like college boy said mentally your going to be seeing some bad stuff, physically you got to be very fit. Ive read up on physical test recruitments and fire service requires 12 minute run and they see how far you get, if you achive 2,700m in 12 mins thats an excellent mark. Then theres 35m sprint, acheive lower than 4.8 seconds here and thats excellent too.

Really looking forward to applying.

Im currently doing a public service course at college. Im going to apply when im 18 then by the time the course is over hopefully my application will have gone threw and i can go for my tests! Was thinking about doing my 2 year college course which gives me 3 A levels and then going to Uni to study public services more which means when i do get accepted for fire service, ill be on a higher pay role. But think this is not so much firefighting, first 2 years is and then with my qualifications ill become crew manager!

If anyone applys, use your best handwriting haha! It says on the site if the writing looks scruffy then they wont bother looking at it :o

I was told that the public services course wasn't really relevant to things like the Police and Fire Brigade? Maybe they lied to me :P

What brigade you looking to apply to?

I was told that the public services course wasn't really relevant to things like the Police and Fire Brigade? Maybe they lied to me :P

What brigade you looking to apply to?

Maybe sheffeild south yorkshire brigade as its local...

But hopefully if i got in there, Id be able to move brigades maybe to London or further down south...

Is pay better or worse or does it not differ between brigades? Like will London be better payed than Sheffield?

Unlucky mate PCSO's are like park wardens thats it :P no real powers they include

-detaining for maximum of 30 minutes

-hand out fines

-can't arrest you apart from citizen arrest which anyone can do

Any who being a PCSo would not interest me at any point!! I am going to go to sandhurst or UNi after my Public services course then go in as a PC after a few years in the army :P

Maybe sheffeild south yorkshire brigade as its local...

But hopefully if i got in there, Id be able to move brigades maybe to London or further down south...

Is pay better or worse or does it not differ between brigades? Like will London be better payed than Sheffield?

I don't think it differs much. It may do if the brigade is privately funded but I think you'll find that most if not all brigades are government funded...

London is an excellent brigade... One of the best in the country if not the world... Would be awesome if we was to serve together one day (Y)

Unlucky mate PCSO's are like park wardens thats it :P no real powers they include

-detaining for maximum of 30 minutes

-hand out fines

-can't arrest you apart from citizen arrest which anyone can do

Any who being a PCSo would not interest me at any point!! I am going to go to sandhurst or UNi after my Public services course then go in as a PC after a few years in the army :P

To be fair it is a good career... Its a stepping stone into the police and will give me some idea as to whether I could hack a career in the police. I'm mainly using it as a stepping stone into LFB... Besides its not just about arresting people nowadays...

So yeah give the site a check over and see what you think... Pretty sure they have tips and advice on getting fit and stuff. (Y)

Regards

Eric

Thanks! It looks like a pretty interesting job to do. Not sure if im 100% cut out for it though, some aspects I think "yeah, I could cope with that", and others im like "Ah... maybe not" :ermm: Will have to have a good think about it.

I really want to do something else from what I'm doing now, and the fire service was one thing that came to mind that fitted the on the job training/long term career criteria: Which I guess limits my options a bit...

I don't think it differs much. It may do if the brigade is privately funded but I think you'll find that most if not all brigades are government funded...

London is an excellent brigade... One of the best in the country if not the world... Would be awesome if we was to serve together one day (Y)

To be fair it is a good career... Its a stepping stone into the police and will give me some idea as to whether I could hack a career in the police. I'm mainly using it as a stepping stone into LFB... Besides its not just about arresting people nowadays...

Sounds like something off lord of the rings.

If I give you my reg plate will you just miss me out on the tickets whilst your a warden :) Good luck with getting into police laddddddo....

I got next 2 and abit years of life training non stop. Abdab = Brok lesnar

Thanks! It looks like a pretty interesting job to do. Not sure if im 100% cut out for it though, some aspects I think "yeah, I could cope with that", and others im like "Ah... maybe not" :ermm: Will have to have a good think about it.

I really want to do something else from what I'm doing now, and the fire service was one thing that came to mind that fitted the on the job training/long term career criteria: Which I guess limits my options a bit...

It's certainly not a job for the faint hearted. A family friend called Michael is in the LFB and has told me a few stories... Some of which I'll share tomorrow when I return from work. Deffo give it a think over though. It is a brilliant career to consider and one which will gain you masses of respects from friends and the general public plus the unbelievable bond you'll make with your crew at the station... (Y)

Sounds like something off lord of the rings.

If I give you my reg plate will you just miss me out on the tickets whilst your a warden :) Good luck with getting into police laddddddo....

I got next 2 and abit years of life training non stop. Abdab = Brok lesnar

Haha. Yeah shoulda worded it different :P So thats 6 points on Mr Abdabs license yeah? ;)

Fire service great career. Trainee firefighter earns minamun to £20,370 a year, then wages increases as you get promoted.

For Firefighting youve got to be keen into the career, have a real determination and set mind on what you want to acheive from it etc...

If your fit, both mentally and physically youll pass the tests allowing you onto the trainee courses! I have to be honest when I say i get slightly worried when I think Ill have to crawl down narrow tunnels or tubes which are filled with smoke etc..scares me but risk Ive got to take. Untill i gain 25 years in force, become brigade manager! Grow a tash, sit in office all day etc...

Oh and as fireman or policeman you get great discounts off in shops. So be like republic sale all over again! hahaha :P