Tensioner Hmmm

Phil H

Need a new tensioner....

A rohlhoff would be nice but I dont want to spend that much even though im aware they work well.

A kingz would work but im finding it hard to justify spending £35 when I know they must make them for 50p, but could be done.

Other option is a Mr. Control from Tarty, my mate has got one and has had no troulble with it but im just not sure if it will provide enough tension.

Other suggestions? kingz? or Mr. Control?

I got a 74kings one, bought it off here and springs where slightly bent so when i applied alittle to much tension to it, it just bent the spring abit more going slack. So i striaghtened the springs out cut a hack saw blade up so had 2 strips of it and drill holes in either end and add them as extra springs and the tension is proper mint now, could even get more out of it i could be bothed to push it down abit more. But like it says on tarty dont over tension them, they do give pritty good tension though, if i was you as soon as i got one id add 2 strips of hack saw blade so you can get even more tension and is bit of piece of mind knowning you dont have to worry about over doing it. I think ill be sticking with mine for aquite a while.

I thought makeing a new topic but I saw this so I will write here :P . What do you think about new echo hubs with built-in tensioner? I could buy a new one from a friend for only £10 and put it to my echo 2006 hub. I want it because I broke my hangers very often and I think this would be a good decision. What do you think? Could I also punch the echo tensioner and break it like the derailleur hanger?

I thought makeing a new topic but I saw this so I will write here :P . What do you think about new echo hubs with built-in tensioner? I could buy a new one from a friend for only £10 and put it to my echo 2006 hub. I want it because I broke my hangers very often and I think this would be a good decision. What do you think? Could I also punch the echo tensioner and break it like the derailleur hanger?

hi

i would recomend staying away from the new echo hub tensioning system , the echo tensioner will only work if u have a perfect chainline .by a perfect chainline i mean both sprockets must be streight and your chain must be stretched equaly wich is near enough impossible , because of that when u tighten the tensioner arm up there will be slack parts of the chain wich will cause the chain to slip off .

ive tried most tensioners now and id say the worst were fixed arm tensioner's ( dmr , onza ) , and i didnt realy get on with my 74 kings it was just to flimsy for me to trust and when pedaling at speed for taps the chain would de-rail . I have know seteled on a rhollf speedhub tensioner and i must say its realy realy good and i can justify the £50 price tag with its proformance , i have rode around as fast as i could allnigth trying to make the rholf fail like my 74 kings but i couldnt so im very impressed :)

hope i helped you and also the topic starter , also 74 kings tensioner for sale :) pm me as i know its not the right place .

hi

i would recomend staying away from the new echo hub tensioning system , the echo tensioner will only work if u have a perfect chainline .by a perfect chainline i mean both sprockets must be streight and your chain must be stretched equaly wich is near enough impossible , because of that when u tighten the tensioner arm up there will be slack parts of the chain wich will cause the chain to slip off .

ive tried most tensioners now and id say the worst were fixed arm tensioner's ( dmr , onza ) , and i didnt realy get on with my 74 kings it was just to flimsy for me to trust and when pedaling at speed for taps the chain would de-rail . I have know seteled on a rhollf speedhub tensioner and i must say its realy realy good and i can justify the £50 price tag with its proformance , i have rode around as fast as i could allnigth trying to make the rholf fail like my 74 kings but i couldnt so im very impressed :)

hope i helped you and also the topic starter , also 74 kings tensioner for sale :) pm me as i know its not the right place .

The reason for it comeing off you 74kings was obviously because you didn't have it set up properly. I bought one off hear cheap had a slightly bent spring on it and set it up and it was fine i managed to bend it bit more the spring and the chain tension was rubish and not once did my chain come off. I cut a hacksaw blade up to add extra spring to it and now its mint a really good tensioner which ill stick with for a long time. The tension is really good on mine with the extra spring blades. And the tension when you get them new is pritty good aswell. People over tension them and thats the problem, do what i did when you get one from shop striaght away and you get even better tension :)

The reason for it comeing off you 74kings was obviously because you didn't have it set up properly. I bought one off hear cheap had a slightly bent spring on it and set it up and it was fine i managed to bend it bit more the spring and the chain tension was rubish and not once did my chain come off. I cut a hacksaw blade up to add extra spring to it and now its mint a really good tensioner which ill stick with for a long time. The tension is really good on mine with the extra spring blades. And the tension when you get them new is pritty good aswell. People over tension them and thats the problem, do what i did when you get one from shop striaght away and you get even better tension :)

Thats what i did mate, i tried everything with it and i was never satisfied . I used both springs and extra springs aswell but it just wasnt right , maybe it was because of my chainstay length . Im not saying the 74 kingz wont work for everyone but for some its just not right maybe if they re designed it with a deeper cavity for the chain to run in i would trust it more and use one but because of my experiance ive gone with the best possible soloution.