At Last I've Done It

peteglaze

Hi there, I've been looking at the forum for a while now, I'm an old bloke who used to do a lot a motor trials back in the 80's. I always hoped my son would follow suit but he never did, however i've now got a 3 year old grandson who can ride his bike without those extra spare wheels at the back! I know it's early but I think he's got what it takes.

So the question is: what do I do to help him progress?

Motor bike trials and cyclo trials are very much the same but I've never done it on a push bike, any suggestions to help Lewis would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

It seems a tad to earlier for the mucker :D. Really I'd wait until the age of, 6-7 because at the age of 3 he will have no strength at all, to even pull the bike up. Ive seen a Monty 16" bike but people dent say there that great. But i couldn't see him riding a 20" so i guess it would be the only solution. Wait for him to grow and buy him one and see how he progresses :D

My friend's cousin is the same although alittle older i think, he's able to ride without stabilisers and enjoys rolling off pallets, up and down hills and generally over anything bumpy ^_^

From seeing him "ride" and in theory i think teaching your grandson the basics such as standing up on the pedals, later, developing confidence in rolling off pavements and pointers like telling him to hold on very tight to the handlebars and how to react to a crash/recover from falling off from a crash would be helpfull to him as i imagine his riding is very "trial and error" at the moment (pad him up and get a decent fitting helmet is a good idea). As he progresses showing him the stages of pulling back on the bars to get the front wheel up even if its only a few inches would be helpfull as a fundamental move in any bike disapline that would develop over time.

Showing him any bike films would probably give him some inspiration, yes on a very degraded level compared to yourself or I but something might click in his mind even through his fixed eyes and blank face.

Keeping his bike in check would be important, checking brakes, tyre pressure, loose bolts, "spinning" grips, just little things that would affect how the bike feels and affect his learning curve. Upgrading his bike every 18months (give or take) will give him a good "bike advantage" in terms of size, parts and maintenance (Y)

Generally abit of rough writing there but hopefully some is usefull :)

Hi I to am an old git from moto trials in the 80's. :$

I ride bike trials now as does my 10 year old lad. Get him a little Monty and watch him develop into something quite special, don't push him yet, Turn up to an event and let him mess about and watch the older lads/lasses. You to might want to enter just for the laugh and it will inspire him.

He won't be able to compete until he is 6 because of insurance reasons, but when he is 6 and if he is still keen he will be well away.

I am beaten every time by Rob, he takes great pride in kicking my sorry old ass every time we go out and play/compete. :-

Good luck and welcome (Y)

JP.

Edited by robster

I ride bike trials now as does my 10 year old lad. Get him a little Monty and watch him develop into something quite special, don't push him yet, Turn up to an event and let him mess about and watch the older lads/lasses. You to might want to enter just for the laugh and it will inspire him.

He won't be able to compete until he is 6 because of insurance reasons, but when he is 6 and if he is still keen he will be well away.

I am beaten every time by Rob, he takes great pride in kicking my sorry old ass every time we go out and play/compete. :-

JP.

Words Of Wisdom!

Ledgend!

Echo.Josh

X-x-X

The osetbikes are realy good, I have seen them demo'ed in the flesh ( wish they do a bigger version, for bigger boys :rolleyes: ) and are great fun I think the main problem with them is they are a little over priced. I was gonna get one for my granddaughter until the wife put a stop to it (N) . The problem I have found with cycletrials is so god darn hard to learn, all that co-ordination stuff with the pedals but it may just be me I only started 7 weeks ago and I am old a old git so the younger you can get them into it the better, becomes as easy as riding a bike.

JP.

Thanks JP, it's a little worrying that we did trials around the same time yet your 10 year old son is competing and my grandson is not far off starting. As for me doing cyclotrials that's a complete no no as i'd need a full suspesion trials bike and at least 2 weeks off work lol. I've seen the monty and the koxx I think i'll wait a year or 2 and just let him ride his converted bmx for now. Just a quick question if you don't mind answering, why is the minimum age 6 and also is there an upper age limit as well. My last trial was 5 years ago in the over 40 class, do they have an over 40's class in cyclotrials?

If your wanting to get him into, pedal trials. Get involved with a club, tyke trials club is amazing for young ones. Just some bmx thing will do untill he can stand up on the bike properly and is little bit older and has more control and then its best to get him a proper bike. I think the key thing to getting someone into the sport from a early ages is family suport and as you get older friends that are into it aswell help to push you to get better, but the family suport helps alot to make you feel good about you and what your doing and helps you progress. If you want to get him into mototrials. I would say get him a little crosser things, that will teach him the basics of balance. And then when older get him a small trials bike and get him into club competitions then. As it will teach him the rules progress him and also make him friends.

hope ive helped somehow